Thread: Most Accurate Savage in 6.5 creed?

Basic Member

Most Accurate Savage in 6.5 creed?

Firstly I 'm not a fan of post that in generalities begin with "best", "most" etc. But I am looking to pick up a Savage 6.5 creed gun for targets only. There are many options out there. I see the model 10 BA Stealth is "blue printed" or squared at factory. I also don't have, but would like to try my hand at a chasis gun. With that said, I will rule out the heavy model 12 long range model. I guess on average with all things equal can the BA stealth be expected on average to outshoot the other models? Probably going to pick one of these up unless I'm steered another direction.

Basic Member
    I wound get the m12 LRP . After SHOOTING 200 rounds it shoots 3 in ome hole @ 100 with 123 scenars and 140 hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by mobenzowner View Post
    I guess on average with all things equal can the BA stealth be expected on average to outshoot the other models?
    No.

I am unaware of any "Blue printing" happening at the factory, but even if it were the case wouldn't matter. All savage's have the same barrels, only profile and length differ, same with the actions. IF they sqared the reciever or lug contact area, that simply does what a floating bolt head also accomplishes. So unless there was something WAAAY off originally, squaring the lug contact area won't matter to anyone but the most capable shooters. Likewise, presuming you have a good bedding area, the notion of a "bent" recoil lug is also very over-sold to the masses. I've done a few posts showing some of my rifles that I shoot 55-gal drum lids out at a mile. The first rifle I did that with is a stock 10FP, in a different stock. It has a very notably out of square recoil lug.

It is possible that one rifle will shoot better from the factory, but it isn't connected to any variance in trim(model).

Welcome aboard...
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Here is one option

Buy a Savage action with Accutrigger. They can be had for around $250, more or less. Then screw on an aftermarket barrel made to your exact specifications. That should cost you between $350 and $500. For that kind of money you will have a very nice SS barrel significantly better than what you get from Savage and you can expect it to give you outstanding accuracy.

Then drop the barreled action into a stock that you like. A Boyd's can be had in the $125 to $175 range, or you can spend as much as you want. The point is, that putting together a semi-custom gun as a DIY project is easy and inexpensive.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    Here is one option

Buy a Savage action with Accutrigger. They can be had for around $250, more or less. Then screw on an aftermarket barrel made to your exact specifications. That should cost you between $350 and $500. For that kind of money you will have a very nice SS barrel significantly better than what you get from Savage and you can expect it to give you outstanding accuracy.

Then drop the barreled action into a stock that you like. A Boyd's can be had in the $125 to $175 range, or you can spend as much as you want. The point is, that putting together a semi-custom gun as a DIY project is easy and inexpensive.
    As he said, and then drop the custom barreled action on a chassis. Good to go.

Basic Member
    LRP but you ruled that out with the heavy barrel limitation. Mine has over 2k rounds through the barrel and still shoots as good as my custom and better than my Tikka. 6.5

Basic Member
    Thank you all so much for the replies. I went ahead and purchased a model 10 ba stealth barreled action. Also have an MDT LSS XL chassis on the way to drop it in.

Basic Member
    Thank you all so much for the replies. I went ahead and purchased a model 10 ba stealth barreled action. Also have an MDT LSS XL chassis on the way to drop it in.
    I'm curious why you ordered another chassis for it that is very similar to the one it comes with when you purchased it. If you were going to buy a chassis you'd have been better off buying an action and a pre-fit barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
    I'm curious why you ordered another chassis for it that is very similar to the one it comes with when you purchased it. If you were going to buy a chassis you'd have been better off buying an action and a pre-fit barrel.
    I did buy just the action and the prefit barrel. I did not replace the normal BA Stealth chassis with the MDT. I only have the MDT chassis, Don't have the normal BA Stealth chassis. I would agree with you the MDT is almost identical to what comes on the factory Stealth.....The MDT I bought is the XL version and bit longer than the stock chassis.

I agree with you, It wouldn't be the smartest to replace the stock chassis with the MDT....

Basic Member
    Quick question, What about the LRP would make it more inherently accurate than the ba stealth? Simply because its barrel is a couple inches longer? Most articles I have read regarding the 6.5 creed state a 24" barrel is optimal for finding best combination of speed and accuracy when looking at both those topics in tandem.
    Last edited by mobenzowner; 01-05-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: accidentally hit enter too quick

Quick question, What about the LRP would make it more inherently accurate than the ba stealth? Simply because its barrel is a couple inches longer? Most articles I have read regarding the 6.5 creed state a 24" barrel is optimal for finding best combination of speed and accuracy when looking at both those topics in tandem.
    Longer barrels are not more accurate.

Thicker barrels are better.

Shorter barrels up to a certain point are better.

The average length of a short range benchrest barrel is around 22".
    Longer barrels are for shooting longer distances.
    Longer barrel will spit the bullet out faster than a shorter barrel. Hence why 1,000 yard shooters like 30" barrels and 100-200 yard benchrest like 20 to 24
    " bbls.

24" is a good length for a variety of shooting.
    26" is for mid to longer range.