Good day fellow Nutz.

I purchased a Savage 10T-SR from Cabela's. I looked down the barrel and was surprised by what I saw. Chatter marks like crazy. They were visible but you could not feel them wen you sent a cleaning rod or bore scope down the barrel. Here are some photos.

So I did some online research and the consensus was that this was normal for Savage barrels and is caused when the button is pulled through the barrel for the rifling. I was advised numerous times to do the fire one, clean one break i procedure and it will shoot just fine. (I was advised numerous times to get rid of the bore scope as well). I was also advised numerous times to polish the inside of the barrel with something like Flitz before starting the break in procedure. I could not find Flitz but found Autosol liquid polish. I was told it will be the same. So I proceeded to saturate a bore mop with the Autosol and run it up and down the barrel. Did this for 200 strokes, replenishing the Autosol every 50 strokes. The barrel now looks like this.

The bore definitely looks better. I have now been told to do the break in procedure and all would be good. It's -30 so the break in is not happening till things warm up.

Now here is my question. Some folks are saying that by doing this I have ruined my barrel and/or crown. A visual inspection of the crown shows no visible damage.

Do any of you have any experience with polishing of the bore like this? Have you done it? Did I in fact cause damage to the new rifle?