Thread: Anyone have a Sierra manual?

Anyone have a Sierra manual?

I'm getting some serious copper fouling in my 270 WSM.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...WSM-build-woes

Going to run the Tubbs Final Finish bullets through it. I emailed Tubbs and they recommend using the starting loads from the Sierra manual for a 130 grain bullet. They also said that Varget and H4350 are recommended powders. But in today's litigious society, they would not give me any specific charges.

They also said that these bullets should run about 2200 to 2500 fps, but that I probably would not find any loads that slow in a 270 WSM. I will probably have to load them to about 2800 fps.

I have a Hornady, Nosler and Lee manuals. The Hornady manual shows loads down to 2800, but not with these powders. The Nosler and Lee manuals only show loads down to about 3000.

If you have the Sierra manual, could you give me the starting loads for a 130 grain bullet in a 270 WSM using Varget and H4350, with the listed velocity?

Thanks in advance.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Basic Member
    Sierra Manual V Edition 7th printing

270WSM 130gr SBT, SPT, HPBT Matchking
    Varget 49.8 2900fps
    H4350 EXT 58.0 3000fps

Team Savage
    The slowest loads listed in the Sierra 7th edition is 2900
    Varget is 49.8 grains. I don't see a load listed for h4350 for 130gr bullets..

Thanks for the info!

You can use H4895 and the 60% of listed max formula and should be able to slow them down dramatically. I have used it in several reduced loads with great success and it is now one of my favorite powders.
    The youth hunting loads Hodgdon shows are 2677 for a 100gr soft point over 39gr of H4895 and 2702 with a 110gr sierra soft point over a 40gr charge of H4895. These are hunting loads they are usually still above the 60% of minimum to achieve good killing velocity while still reducing recoil. http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf with a 130 gr they may be really close to your mark. Though Hodgdon claims the 60% rule is safe with H4895 only I wouldn't go any lower without confirming through a reliable source, because reduced charges in a magnum case can create freaky pressure spikes and hang fires, especially with other powders. Yep been there and done that, You may have some good luck hitting your ideal velocity mark by contacting Hodgdon and waiting on a response rather than fudging and sending em down the barrel too fast.
    Trail boss will certainly slow em down, but probably too much with a max listed velocity of 1832 for a 130 gr bullet.
    I have had really good luck talking with the techs at Sierra on several projects even when not using their bullets.
    The phone number to talk to a Sierra tech is 800-223-8799 and heres a link https://www.sierrabullets.com/ask-si...tech/index.cfm
    Nosler has a tech line as well but the guys there, though helpful and knowledgeable, haven't been quite as helpful and friendly as the Sierra guys in my dealings with them. Nosler Toll Free: 1-800-285-3701. https://www.nosler.com/contact-us/

I hope these leads get you where you want to be. I'm pretty sure the proper charge of H4895 will put you right on the velocity numbers you seek.
    Good Luck BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Thanks jeep.

In one of my emails with Tubbs, I had specifically mentioned H4895. I have used it before in some reduced loads. Thought that it would be easy to get down to the 2200 to 2500 range.

Their response was that they recommend that I use Varget or H4350. I don't know their motivation behind that recommendation, but it's probably the same reason that they won't mention a charge weight.