Thread: Bedding Model12FV Cabela's Special

Basic Member

Bedding Model12FV Cabela's Special

Gotta ask since I don't know. Just ordered a new stock with the aluminum bedding block. I plan on doing just a skim bedding. Have done the skim bedding several times but, never on a Savage. So...Just bed the tang area and the recoil lug?
    #10 G.I. Vietnam. You got anymore ammo?

Basic Member
    Good question.

Actually, do NOT bed the tang. Tang must be free floated.

Minimally, bed the action screw areas and recoil lug. If it is a heavy barrel, maybe bed the first few inches of the barrel as well.

Basic Member
    Thanks. I thought I had read something about not bedding the tang but, I didn't mention it because I wasn't sure I was remembering right. I just do a skim bed to lend a little support to the thin aluminum rails the stock has for the action to rest on.
    #10 G.I. Vietnam. You got anymore ammo?

Basic Member
    What stock is it? Accustock should not be bedded without fully relieving the side rails so they do not touch the action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    What stock is it? Accustock should not be bedded without fully relieving the side rails so they do not touch the action.
    True^^^^^

Also, you should make sure the epoxy has something to "grab" if you skim bed it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I just bedded my new 12FV into a Bobby Hart LRT last week. Here’s how I do all of mine with Devcon after grinding out some material for clearance and drilling several shallow holes to provide mechanical lock. Note that I made zero provisions in the rear pillar area for the magazine clip as this will be a single shot only rifle. The little tab of bedding that extends to the rear on left side is not needed but in my experience doesn’t hurt. The rest of the tang is floated by 2 layers of paint tape which is about 10 thou clearance. It’s not the nicest job as I do my cleanup with a hillbilly milling machine aka Dremel with carbide bits and sanding drums.

edited to add: although there is bedding compound forward of the recoil lug nothing makes contact, it’s all floating above it due to generous use of electrical tape. I just allow the compound to remain to add strength in open areas regardless of how minimal of a contribution it may be.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...8EE786E997.jpg
    https://imgur.com/a/cYQUo
    Last edited by Maztech89; 12-29-2017 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Spelling

Looks just like my JB Weld skim bedding! I think Devcon might even be slightly stronger. Guess since it worked for
    me I never went to lengths to see which product might actually be better*. If any one has the shrinkage factor for both products and the compressive, tensile and ultimate strength of each I wouldn’t mind seeing the values

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maztech89 View Post
    I just bedded my new 12FV into a Bobby Hart LRT last week. ...............snip..........
    My 12FV bedded into a Boyd's stock looks nearly the same with a few differences. I put one layer of masking tape on the forward face, sides, and bottom of the recoil lug but I leave the aft face bare. I also bed part of the tang except the aft end which remains in contact with the stock to provide a height reference. The forward height reference is provided by several wraps of tape on the barrel about half way down the forearm.

Because my rifle is for F-class, I filled the magazine well with lead shot sealed in epoxy to increase the weight. The top surface was left a bit low so that the bedding compound covers the lead shot. I epoxied a loading "sled" into the action before bedding because my rifle is strictly single shot.

I fill the barrel nut notches with clay and bed essentially all of the barrel nut. When I clean up the bedding, I carefully clean up any bumps in the area of the barrel nut so that if I ever refit a barrel, I won't have a barrel nut indexing problem.

Great info...Thanks
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....