Thread: .308 BAS-K firing issues

.308 BAS-K firing issues

Any threads on here concerning firing issues? I have a Savage BAS-K .308 that is giving me major grief. The trigger almost always freezes up or the accutrigger trips. It fires about 15% of the time. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

Have seen several threads like that. Try the advanced search.

Likely one of two issues...

First is technique. Make sure that the only part of your finger that touches the trigger is the middle of the pad. And, make sure that you pull the trigger straight back with no sideways movement.

Second is mechanical. If it's an accutrigger, it might have been set too light. Tighten up the adjustment screw a little. Test it by robustly working the bolt.

Best of luck and Happy New Year.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

Roger that!
    I took the rifle home. Removed the stock and investigated the parts in motion. The trigger was set so light that the action of the bolt was causing the trigger to fault. I increased the trigger pull weight up and went back to the range. I only had one round out of 15 that caused a trigger issue. I likely had just a little too much side pressure on the trigger. Pretty cold outside today and I was wearing really thin gloves, which while hunting I would probably also be wearing gloves.
    I've never had this issue with my .243 Predator Hunter. I bought that rifle new and never tinkered with the trigger. This BAS-K was purchased used and the previous owner must have wanted a hair trigger. To each their own I suppose. I do not see any point in having such a light trigger nor do I see the point in having a trigger so sensitive to directional pressure. I will likely replace this factory trigger with a simplified high quality trigger. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    The rifle shoots excellent! My last group before leaving this evening was a four round group that ended up as one hole.

Love happy endings.

Glad to hear it Jon. Welcome to the forum.

Oh, nearly all of my Savage rifles have Rifle Basix Sav 2 triggers. But they don't work with the bottom bolt release.

The only aftermarket Savage trigger I have is a Timney. So I can't compare it to RifleBasics triggers.

The Timney is a good trigger but you have to adjust it accordingly and not go to light (1.75 lbs is as light as I think it's safe).

Otherwise I like tuning Savage triggers, accutriggers or non-accutriggers. Besides the springs and screw adjustments, honing the sear and trigger will go a long way.

One downside to the Savage Action design, is that it doesn't leave much space for a trigger housing, so 2-stage triggers are not gonna happen on Savage rifles any time soon. And I love 2-stage triggers.

Just to update my accutrigger issues. I thought I had the problem resolved but another day at the range proved otherwise. I put the Timney trigger in last night. Really simple. After removing the accutrigger, it was plain to see that there was just enough minimal wear on the trigger to prevent the sear from functioning properly. I will shoot Friday and I'm expecting to have trouble free trigger operation.

The previous owner might have stoned the trigger trying to get it lighter if there's that obvious of a mark on it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain