Thread: Boyd’s pro varmint

Basic Member

Boyd’s pro varmint

Hi, I just got a Boyd’s pro varmint in, I had ordered. It’s a blaze laminate , standard rifle finish.
    Quick question.. if I wanted to get it a little shinier, what would need done? Could some tru oil just be rubbed on, or would it need sanded etc?
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Boyd's told me, after a lot of being passed off to the next guy when I called, they use a lacquer finish, so refinish with the same stuff. Get yourself a rattle can of Minwax lacquer at Walmart or your local DIY store. It comes in several levels of gloss including satin, semi gloss and gloss.

Just take off whatever you can and mask off the rest. Build yourself a rig to hang the stock. I usually use a rod through one of the action screw holes and tie a string on each end so I can suspend it from my garage door opener arm. Wrap some masking tape around the rod so that it is centered and won't slip.

I like to run tap water as hot as it will go and put the rattle can in a container of the warm water for 10 minutes. It helps the spray atomize better. Be SURE you dry off the can before you start spraying.

Use multiple light coats and follow the re-coat instructions. Two or three coats of gloss will make your new Boyd's stock shine. When the finish gets worn or damaged, just scuff it with a very fine Scotch Bright pad, and give it another two coats or so.

I do this from time to time to my Boyd's stocks. It's easy and inexpensive.

Team Savage
    I use tru-oil. Dull and clean finish with acetone. Gently rub finish with 0000 steel wool and apply tru-oil with clean cotton rag. Use steel wool to dull finish between coats of tru-oil after it dries. After 5+ thin coats you will get the look you desire. For checkering I use Danish tung oil finish. Do not use tru-oil or finishes that will fill the checkering.

Basic Member
    Thanks for replies. I still haven’t decided which way to go. On one hand I want it shiny, then on another I may leave it like it is.

Set it up in the sun or some good light. The color will "POP" a little bit more. I got one in the Coyote Laminate with standard finish... It really looks sharp in good light. Would think the Blaze Orange would look really nice.