Thread: Installing a hinged floor plate?

Installing a hinged floor plate?

I'm looking at buying something in .300 Win Mag and I'm thinking of a 111 or 116. The problem is that I don't see many options with a hinged floor plate. Can I change a detachable box magazine gun to a hinged floor plate?

The 116 Weather Warrior used to have a hinged floor plate. You can swap a floor plate into the DBM inlet but there have been some minor changes that might cause you to have to remove some metal/wood/plastic.....or not. You can do it if you can find it.

Basic Member
    Why would you want to do such a thing?

Basic Member
    Is there a good source for all of the conversion parts required?

Basic Member
    ^^^I don't think so. It was never a popular configuration and Savage discontinued it for lack of sales. Seriously, what is it about a detachable magazine setup that you dislike? Not only dislike, but would spend money so as to be able to dump the cartridges on the ground rather than contain them in a magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^I don't think so. It was never a popular configuration and Savage discontinued it for lack of sales. Seriously, what is it about a detachable magazine setup that you dislike? Not only dislike, but would spend money so as to be able to dump the cartridges on the ground rather than contain them in a magazine?
    Why all the hate towards the guys preference for a HFP? How about letting him decide what he wants rather than trying to talk him into your way of thinking. I'm sure that with a username like Woodrow F. Call he's been around long enough to know what he prefers.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Hinged floor plate is my favorite savage mag. Just feels and looks nicer than the factory DBM IMHO

Why would you want to do such a thing?
    Because, I prefer to not have a detachable mag to leave somewhere.

It's a hunting rifle, so I won't need to do fast reloads. I like the fact I can quickly dump the unused cartridges in my hand when unloading. I don't usually just drop the rounds on the ground. I also don't want to accidently leave a magazine somewhere. It's simple, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Why all the hate towards the guys preference for a HFP? How about letting him decide what he wants rather than trying to talk him into your way of thinking. I'm sure that with a username like Woodrow F. Call he's been around long enough to know what he prefers.
    You sir, are correct. I've owned both, I know what I prefer..... I like revolvers, lever guns, and hinged floor plates.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5savageguy View Post
    Hinged floor plate is my favorite savage mag. Just feels and looks nicer than the factory DBM IMHO
    Yup.

I like floor plates better too.

Basic Member
    That's all good. :)

Mine always dump all over. Can't get the hang of it. The only one I've had was in 25-06

BTW, sorry I kept asking why and appeared like a persistent jerk, beating you up over it. I was sincerely interested in your opinion and when MB1500 asked if there was a good source for parts, I thought he was you, asking AGAIN how to get them, ignoring my sincere question!

That's all good. :)

Mine always dump all over. Can't get the hang of it. The only one I've had was in 25-06

BTW, sorry I kept asking why and appeared like a persistent jerk, beating you up over it. I was sincerely interested in your opinion and when MB1500 asked if there was a good source for parts, I thought he was you, asking AGAIN how to get them, ignoring my sincere question!
    No problem. For a hunting rifle, it's just definitely what I prefer.

I'm with you Captain!

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5savageguy View Post
    I'm with you Captain!