Thread: Newly acquired 1903.

Newly acquired 1903.

After reading the 1903 threads is it safe to deduce this newly acquired 1903 is a first year production rifle?

24" round barrel, only markings .22 cal. short smokeless ctg., 5-1/2" smooth forearm, straight grip "shotgun" stock w/ flat plastic butt plate, no markings on 3 "groove" magazine, S.N. 36xx

Where can a Savage .22 pump rifle reference book(s) be purchased? Other .22 pump rifle reference books?

Thank you.

bobs1

Welcome aboard
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Definitely an early gun with that serial number, I had serial number 40.

There is one book called Walnut and Steel but I haven't bought a copy to check it out yet.
    Savage- "never say never".

Thanks for your reply. Finding reference sources is much more difficult than finding .22 pump rifles. I'll "research" Walnut and Steel. Would like to learn more about Savage .22 pump rifles. The 1903 is the latest of 3.

Bob

Basic Member
    Not a Savage (or just a Savage receiver with all the other makers parts) - Baker/Febiger No 1, a pump rifle made from modified Febiger semi-auto parts by Baker Gun & Forging. https://www.google.com/search?q=febiger+no+1&lr=&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa= X&ved=0ahUKEwiRyLXQjKzYAhUB34MKHRjFDkIQ_AUIDSgE&bi w=1136&bih=703

I bought the book 'Walnut & Steel', there is a lot of incorrect information about Savage in that book, as well as in many other books I have looked at. added -> It's still a interesting book and I found his writing style very easy to read. I did not intent to keep anyone from getting this book, even with some issues, the Savage information is as good as any other I have found, and I would say the same thing about other book & article I have found, it is almost impossible to write a book with out some errors.

Before reading your reply I ordered "Walnut & Steel". Will have to read it with a "discerning" eye. From your photo array, Mauri's rifle is most like the No. 1 pump no name - NOTE: there are no markings on the receiver or barrel (other than the .22 short barrel info). In her opinion more intriguing, and hopefully, collectible than a 1903. Mauri has a 1914 and a "Sears" 1929. Researching and learning about these rifles is a big part of collecting. Thanks for your consideration and input.

Bob

Before reading your reply I ordered "Walnut & Steel". Will have to read it with a "discerning" eye. From your photo array, Mauri's rifle is most like the No. 1 pump no name - NOTE: there are no markings on the receiver or barrel (other than the .22 short barrel info). In her opinion more intriguing, and hopefully, collectible than a 1903. Mauri has a 1914 and a "Sears" 1929. Researching and learning about these rifles is a big part of collecting. Thanks for your consideration and input.

Bob

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobs1 View Post
    Before reading your reply I ordered "Walnut & Steel". Will have to read it with a "discerning" eye. Bob
    Yes, my intend was not to keep anyone from getting the book, but just to use it along with other sources with an open mind - I don't think any book can be made error free. I found his writing to be easy to read.

Some collectors are suggesting it is not a Savage 1903, rather a Baker Gun & Forging/Febiger. Will have to continue researching it. Sent off for the Walnut & Steel reference book, looking forward to it. The Baker is more intriguing, and hopefully, collectible.

Gene, You're quite correct. I can't recall reading any gun book without noticing a few errors. One of my pet peeves is incorrectly labeled photos, but they seem to be fairly common. I did make every effort I could to ensure accuracy, but as you are quite aware, the Savage and Stevens information is pretty difficult to come up with. I really wish there was a good reference available, but since most of the old records are essentially nonexistent, this may be too much to wish for. I referred the OP to you since I knew if anyone could help him it would be you.

Basic Member
    Bill, I do apologize for not stating my original comment clearly enough to convey what I meant. At this time there have not been enough different people researching Savage 22's to verify all the information out there. Murray's book on the 99's originally had lots of errors but it still is considered a must have for Savage collectors (the third edition though).

Off the topic but here is an example of the problems with researching Savage, this is a statement from the official Savage Arms web site -

"In 1919, Chief Lame Deer approached Arthur to purchase lever-action rifles for the Indian reservation and the two men struck a deal. The tribe would get discounted rifles and Savage would get their support and endorsement. It was at this time in the company's history, that Arthur Savage added the Indian head logo--a direct gift from the Chief--to the company name."

By 1919 Arthur was long gone from the company having been forced out by very early 1905 and by then he had a well established company in California that made car tires. In 1907 Arthur Savage returned to NY long enough to sue Savage Arms for back wages because he had been forced out before his contract ended, and he won, so he was not on good terms with his former company, so I have to seriously question the accuracy of the 'official' story.

The information about his leaving and then suing the company was found in newspaper articles that recently had scans of the old micro film copies posted on line - that information was not readily available just a few years ago.

No apology needed, Gene. I actually appreciated the comments about the book being easy to read, as that was the effect I was wanting. I think sometimes we get a bit too hung-up over technicana and tend to lose our audience. To me firearms have always held a special fascination, and I hoped to convey that to the reader.
    Best wishes and Happy New Year!