Thread: First post! Looking for guidance on replacing the hammer on a 311 double barrel

First post! Looking for guidance on replacing the hammer on a 311 double barrel

Merry Christmas all!

I've got this old Stevens Mod 311 - Series H double barrel 12 gage shotgun:

My son was using it when the right hand side ceased firing. As it turns out the sintered metal hammer broke at the pivot hole.

I've got a replacement hammer and am trying to install without any luck. Before I damage either myself or the gun, I was wondering if there are any pointers for installing the hammer? A bit of spelunking around the site seems to indicate that it is a challenge without any real advice (other than making a special tool) on how to install the hammer.

Can someone please provide words of wisdom?

Thanks

Chris

Welcome aboard
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Welcome aboard
    Thank you for the welcome!

And Merry Christmas!

chris

Basic Member
    Found this video for you. Looks like you'll have to get creative!! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E3&FORM=VRDGAR

I knew there would be some sort of slave pin involved!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Found this video for you. Looks like you'll have to get creative!! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...E3&FORM=VRDGAR

I knew there would be some sort of slave pin involved!!
    Thanks, this was/is the only reference to the issue that I have found, but unfortunately there is really nothing in the video. The gun has been disassembled far more than mine, and I'm really not excited about any more disassembly, lest there be any more surprises in reassembly. And he doesn't show the actual reassembly steps.

Thanks.

chris

Basic Member
    All you need is a way to compress the spring until you can get a slave pin slipped in from the right side, to hold the hammer in place. This will probably require holding it in a vise and at least one extra hand, or two. Plus a few flying parts and some colorful language! And some blood!!

Okay. I'll futz around with it a bit. My son is around, so that's at least 4 hands :)

Thanks

chris

Basic Member
    Let us know how it turns out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Let us know how it turns out!!
    LOL. Yea, it would probably be appreciated by the interwebs hoards if I documented said activity. :)

Okay, I got it done.

I went to the BORG and bought a couple of cheap tools to modify to get the job done. What turned out to be the magic was a 1/2" x 4" slotted scredriver:

It was a whopping 89 cents.

It was bit wide to fit into the gap in the gun, so I narrowed the blade to about the diameter of the shaft on my belt sender. I also put a sharp edge on the business end to grab the hammer better. Then I took a cheap 5/32" drill bit and using the same belt sander, I made a point on the butt of the drill bit.

The key to the whole thing was the lock has to be removed. No way around it. I drove the securing pin for the lock half way out and removed the lock. I was worried that it would be hard to replace, but it's not.

Once done it's key to secure the gun carefully. I put a wood block on the floor on which I rested the barrel and then used to F-Clamps to secure the gun to my work table. This is absolutely necessary as you are going to push down quite hard and you don't want anything moving around.

Putting the hammer in place, I put the drill bit in the open hole. Pushing down carefully on the screw driver pushing slightly toward the trigger will line the hole in the hammer up with the drill bit. Tap the drill bit in until it enters the hammer. Tap a few more times until the drill bit it touching the securing pin for the hammer. Then just tap the securing pin back toward the drill bit. You might have to wiggle the drill bit to get it started, but it's not much. Drive the securing pin all the way home.

Installing the lock was much easier. Replace the lock in the gun, and using the same drill bit, get it aligned with the holes in the gun. Then tap the securing pin into the gun until it drives the drill bit out.

Done and done.

cheers,

chris

Basic Member