Thread: 10 fcp-k + Hornady ammo = stuck bolt?

Blueovalbandit

10 fcp-k + Hornady ammo = stuck bolt?

Well after lurking for a while and running through search lots of searches, I picked up my first rifle 2 weeks ago. Took it to the range for the first time today but forgot a stapler so I could really sight my scope on paper, and decided to wing it. I started shooting Hornady custom 150gr sst and somehow managed to chase the impacts down myself and put them on steel at 300 yards. Life was good until the 9th shot, I unlocked the bolt but could not get it to come back. After wrestling with it I managed to pull it back and eject the brass. At first I thought it was a fluke, but on the 12th or so shot it did it again, and again on the 17th. On that try I got the bolt back but the brass was still in the chamber, I managed to get it out after closing the bolt and wrestling with it some more.

Once that box was finished I switched to 168gr nosler match and all worked flawlessly, so it has to be in the ammo. What do you all think?

scamp62

Re: 10 fcp-k + Hornady ammo = stuck bolt?

Ammo.........

Basic Member

So you fired 17 rounds, 3 of which "got stuck" and you continued to fire the last 3??? hummmmm...... I would suggest you should have stopped, if not after the first time, definately after the second. Contact Hornady, some thing is wrong with that ammo. You could always give archery a try?

juliomorris

I had this same problem with a new savage 10 FCP from Cabelas. I got to checking out the brass and it had scatches on it. There were a couple of burr 's inside the chamber but I Didn't want to send the rifle back because it was shooting 1/2" groups with my reloads and 3/4 groups with winchester factory. Take it to a Gunsmith and let him look at the chamber and polish it. I did my own but I would not suggest you do that unless you have experience.

racinready300ex

I think that can be a sign of pressure problems. Ammo may have been loaded to hot.

Blueovalbandit

Now I didn't just go shoot them willy nilly when the first one got stuck. I shoot and reload a few thousand 12g a year so I checked the primers first to see if they got smashed or flattened. They looked normal, I didn't see any high pressure signs from that.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/SumoDethRat/primers.jpg[/img]

Some of the hornday brass did get the neck dented from falling just 3 feet, so I think it's pretty soft at least those ones were.

Also there's a burr in the chamber cause I just checked using my ghetto machinest dye method.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f263/SumoDethRat/burr.jpg[/img]

I think the combination of soft brass and the burr caused the brass to get stuck. I didn't notice the small gouges around the shoulders on a few cause they hit a concrete bench but now it looks like it came from the chamber and not the bench.

eight_heads

i had a small burr in the chamber of the 10flcp-k that was catching brass. I brought it to my gunsmith and he polished the chamber with a special "brush"(looked like what you use to ream a brake cylinder). did the trick and he didn't charge me anything, took about 5 mins. Now it's smooth as glass and shoot great!

Great, good info and I am glad everything worked out as you have a fine rifle.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]