Thread: A17 Ruptured Case

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A17 Ruptured Case

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this site and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. I recently purchased a a17 to plink/hunt with. I have a marlin bolt 17 but wanted a semi auto for a little faster shooting. Was out shooting today testing some different ammo (cci 20gr game points and hornady 17gr vmax). When I had a case rupture (happened with the hornady 17gr never a problem with the 20gr game point). Lucky nobody was hurt, but it popped the magazine out and jammed the bolt. This was near the end of shooting and ended it there. Once I was able to pop the casing out the bolt seemed to function normally and loaded and extracted properly. I did not fire it after this incident just moved bolt back and forth by hand. There was no bullet stuck in the barrel but I noticed when I broke it down to clean the black metal piece that holds the case on the left side of the bolt near the face had a burr that was causing a scratch in the action. Firing pin appeared okay and looked normal.

I'm going to send it back to savage for warranty work as I think there is some kind of issue. I don't know if it was the hornady ammo or the gun but I thought the delayed blowback design was supposed to prevent this from happening. Previously shot close to 300 rounds of the CCI game points without a hiccup. Also clean the gun and lube every 150 rounds and when this occurred to had less than 100 rounds through it. The case ruptured at the back and split the neck. It would appear that the blowback lock wasn't fully locked or didn't stay locked long enough.
    Last edited by Squirrelhunter; 12-25-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Removed/added information