Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is getting the 224 Valkyrie?

Basic Member

Who is getting the 224 Valkyrie?

Am interested in this round provided it lives up to its hype. Been looking at videos and charts. So far, it has my attention.

I have two, MSR15 20 and 22" LOVE THEM!

Basic Member
    I'll be putting one together with a JP barrel when I sell off some unneeded parts and optics.

Basic Member
    Am hoping Savage doesn't drag their coming out with their version. Will be doing my research to see if a 18 inch barrel will do well out to 1000 yards. Think the tests so far are 22 inch barrels. But if the ammo selection doesn't hit the market, could turn this caliber into a wild cat only. So far, I'm impressed with the ballistics. Could sell my 338LM and go both bolt and AR.

Basic Member
    Ammo is starting to hit the market.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...l-hollow-point

Basic Member
    I would wait a year.les bear could start making uppers, and WOA and CLE.And go with a Krieger 24" bullMy CLE Krieger Is sicking accurate with AR COMP 77gn.TMK or CFE .223

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Am hoping Savage doesn't drag their coming out with their version. Will be doing my research to see if a 18 inch barrel will do well out to 1000 yards. Think the tests so far are 22 inch barrels. But if the ammo selection doesn't hit the market, could turn this caliber into a wild cat only. So far, I'm impressed with the ballistics. Could sell my 338LM and go both bolt and AR.
    Some of the info you are looking for. https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/224...e-full-review/
    The 18" only pushed the 90SMK to 2533 on average. the 20 and 22 are where thing work. 2650ish and 2680

I am interested if they make an upper at a reasonable price

Basic Member
    No way would I jump on this now. Will let the pro's get their hands on it and produce the facts. If it lives up to its hype, then will look real hard at both bolt and AR.

Too new for me I'm going with a 6.5 Creedmore on a short action

Basic Member
    I had a 6.5 creedmore. Wasn't bad but just didn't do anything for me. Sold it to get a savage 338LM. Thought about trying another 6.5CM but IF the 224 can do almost the same thing as the 6.5CM, no reason not to buy the 224. Will bet a 100 grain or so bullet will be made for the 224 down the road if it takes off. What amazes me is the 224 stays supersonic past 1300 yards (if reports are accurate). Will watch for all the reports that will start coming out once this caliber hits main stream. One thing for sure, IF this caliber can produce, bet the military will look hard at it.

Same as a 22 Nosler,which didn't impress me at first. I've switched over to the 22 Nosgar with an 18" Ballistic Advantage barrel and 6.8 bolt face. Only had it to the range once but things are looking promising. I didn't have the Hagar brass squeezed down far enough the first time so had to go back through and fls again. The Nosler was just too hard on brass. What ever you run it should be with an adjustable gas block to dial the load in.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    I will probably start with a bolt rifle so I don't have to much into it. 22-24 inch barrel, fluted. Then if things look real good, just get an upper with an 18-20 inch barrel. This way I can swap uppers with my 300 Blackout AR. Have read some stories on the 22 Nosler brass getting chewed up on AR's.

Yes,first run of 22 Nosler was crap. Case heads had gouges and were so deformed they won't go in the shell holder,some times after only one firing. I've heard they reformulated the brass and it's better now. An adjustable gas block is a definite help because they are so over-gassed.

Very fast caliber....
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Yes,first run of 22 Nosler was crap. Case heads had gouges and were so deformed they won't go in the shell holder,some times after only one firing. I've heard they reformulated the brass and it's better now. An adjustable gas block is a definite help because they are so over-gassed.
    Thicker brass?

I don't know what the change was. I won't be buying any since i went the Nosgar route. If you get an upper don't buy the AR Stoner from midway,they are junk. Come to think of it,don't buy anything from midway. Their customer service is horrible too.

Basic Member
    Another review from military arms channel.....
    https://www.full30.com/video/071135a...gn=subscribers

Basic Member
    Anyone see these out in the stores yet?

From what I've been told they won't start shipping until sometime after the SHOT Show.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I see savage is announcing allot of changes on the front page of this site. Pretty generic though. Wish they would announce and bolt action in this caliber! I hate when they announce stuff and don't see it for months down the road. My CC is ready to charge ahead. Anyone going to get one of the AR's in this caliber? Was considering just buying an upper from someone but the Recon for $1249 keeps calling my name. Would guess street price will be around $1000 or a little less.

Basic Member
    Knew this was coming. 100 gr bullet from federal for the Valkyrie.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...al-data-loads/

Basic Member
    That article is two and a half months old. The 100gr Fusion was changed to 90gr by Federal.

Basic Member
    Thanks for pointing that out. Still figure they will come out with a 100 gr bullet down the road.

Basic Member
    I would agree about the eventual availability. Sierra will be releasing a 95gr SMK (0.600 G1 BC) soon so that's a start. However, I think that bullets will start to be at the edge of the ability of a 1:7 twist rate being able to stabilize them in all conditions. Valkyrie barrel/rifle makers are going to have to consider going to a faster twist rate like 1:6.5 or 1:6, possibly at the expense of the ability to shoot the thinner skinned varmint bullets well. That's just my opinion, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast