Thread: Need some help on disassembley of a Stevens model 34M bolt action rifle

Need some help on disassembley of a Stevens model 34M bolt action rifle

New to the board but not new to shooting nor to Savage/Stevens firearms...but man am I confused on something....probably just an 80 year old guy that is trying to complicate things.

I was given a very nice little Stevens 34M bolt action 22 magnum....It appears to be in good shape...I have no idea the age of the rifle and find that serial numbers, etc really don't do that much good...so I can't find anything much on You tube or on google...so I'll come here and display my ignorance.

I simply want to remove the bolt to clean it and to clean the rifle...it's not bad and nothing sticks or jams but don't want to shoot it till I've kind of cleaned, oiled and inspected things..the rifle was a gift from a woman that lost her husband...he was a friend but I didn't shoot much with him and usually hand gun shooting.

Every other bolt action rifle I've ever had is a snap to remove the bolt...usually just remove the magazine, check for unloaded condition, pull the bolt back...pull the trigger and the bolt usually slides right out....That does not seem to be the situation here and I sure don't want to break or bend anything...I'm missing something and just can't seem to figure it out.

Any help would sure be appreciated...we are planning to go to the range in a couple of days and I'd like to take it along and see how it shoots..

Many thanks

opos

Don't own one but here's a thought.

I've owned guns where the locking lugs don't sinc with the extraction of the bolt. Have you tried pulling the trigger and while your pulling back move the bolt handle up or down?

Also, make sure the safety is in fire position.
    Savage- "never say never".

These models of rifles, also the model 46, 63, 65, and 73, all have the end cap at the back end of the receiver. The action has to be pulled from the stock in order to take the cap out, similar to the Mossberg 300 series rifles.