Thread: Impressed with blind magazine. Smooth!

Team Savage

Impressed with blind magazine. Smooth!

Picked up a clean Stevens 200 the other day. Was a bit concerned about the blind mag, but growing up, a lot of hunting rifles were blind mag so I wasn't too worried. Thought it might save me some weight too.

I was right. It's the lightest bolt action so far. But the best part is how SMOOTH it feeds. The rounds literally jump into the chamber as the bolt picks them up. Maybe the conventional detachable mags have a little more play in them? I dunno, but feeding rounds through this rifle is a pleasure. Actually reminds me of my Tikka, which is saying a lot!

Basic Member
    I have a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 and it also feeds very smooth, I did the Rockite treatment to mine to add a little weight. I use mine only for hunting and may also do some barrel changing but have 2 Axis also for barrel swaps.

I actually prefer a blind magazine in a hunting rifle. No chance of dropping mag or hinge floor plate coming open from being snagged on brush or hand in the wrong spot during recoil. Makes for a smoother appearance.

I'm glad the blind mag feeds reliably and smoothly in your rifle.
    I always liked blind mags for hunting.

My R700 in 223rem originally came with a blind mag stock and 2 rounds out of 5 would not feed. First round always failed to feed and unpredictable which one after that. They would jam, try to get out through the ejection port etc... I got a Chassis now with a reliable MDT magazine.

There is a reason why I have several Savages and only 1 Remington.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    I actually prefer a blind magazine in a hunting rifle. No chance of dropping mag or hinge floor plate coming open from being snagged on brush or hand in the wrong spot during recoil. Makes for a smoother appearance.
    I agree. I've had plenty of blind mags in hunting rifles, and it's never bothered me at all. Only time I load the mag anyway is when I'm about to go out for a hunt, which isn't all that often. Otherwise I just single load at the range.

Same here.

I have to say, I am really digging the "raw" appearance of this Stevens 200. Fit and function are flawless and it just looks like a battle axe ready for war. What a tool.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I'm glad the blind mag feeds reliably and smoothly in your rifle.
    I always liked blind mags for hunting.

My R700 in 223rem originally came with a blind mag stock and 2 rounds out of 5 would not feed. First round always failed to feed and unpredictable which one after that. They would jam, try to get out through the ejection port etc... I got a Chassis now with a reliable MDT magazine.

I agree with the blind mags on bolt guns. Speaking of bolt guns, mine are all Savages with the exception of a 700 BDL in 338WM which was a sweet deal I couldn't pass up 27yrs ago. Have to admit I like the hinge plate on that rifle, very smooth.

Team Savage
    I wonder if the smooth feeding is due to the fact that my magazine does not move at all. With my other Savages with DBM's, there is always some play. I'm sure that affects feeding. This Stevens 200 is the only gun that's ever reminded me of my Tikka's. And that's a very good thing.

Now that I have the trigger down to 2.5#, it outshot one of my Tikka's today at 300 yards. Not to shabby for 1/3 the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    ...But the best part is how SMOOTH it feeds. The rounds literally jump into the chamber as the bolt picks them up...
    X2...