Thread: Convert Staggerfeed to Centerfeed?

Basic Member

Convert Staggerfeed to Centerfeed?

Tried a search, sure this has been covered sorry for the redundancy.

Have a short action staggerfeed out of a 200.

What are the options/procedure to convert it to accept centerfeed dbms?

Are there different options re the conversion that will affect which mags can be used, i.e. stock Savage mags vs aftermarket options?

Thanks, Matt.

Basic Member
    Can't be done. The action screw spacing is diferent than the dbm bottom metal's screw hole spacing. There might be options for aftermarket dbm assemblys, I don't know.

Can be done. You will have to mill out the receiver opening but it works fine. I have an older model 10 stagger feed that I converted from stagger to center feed without issue. It’s a blind mag config in a Boyd’s prairie hunter.

edit: I missed he was looking at going dbm. That complicated things. Maybe still doable

edit edit: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...er-feed-action

this might help

Basic Member
    DBM is the key. Blind mag is very doable.

I think CDI still makes a Bottom metal conversion for the 4.275 spacing. If you’re wanting to use aics style mags.

Basic Member
    As does PTG.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies.

Re the comments about using dbms- isn't that the main difference between the staggerfeed and centerfeed? My understanding was that staggerfeed is where the mag well is attached to the action, and stays attached to the action when taken out of the stock, an internal blind mag- whereas centerfeed is an external dbm set up, where the action removes from the stock and the mag well. Is this not correct?

Action spacing is 4.275, good call on those that mentioned that, my bad for not listing it.

Having a staggerfeed action with attached mag well would like to convert to a system that uses dbms, sorry to not be clear in op.

Basic Member
    No, that is not what stagger feed and centerfeed mean.

Also"mag well" is not equal to "mag box".

Mag well is the space in the stock that allows or make room for the magazine and/or mag box. Mag box is the (usually) metal box that conains the spring and follower and keeps everyrhing aligned so cartridge can be stored and then fed individually into the action... Bad definition, but hopefully you see what i mean.

Savage stagger feeds can be dbm or blind mag. Most were blind mag from the factory. Regardless, there was a mag box permanently attached to the action in both dbm and blind mag. Dbm's had a smaller box that slid into the box that was permanently attached to the action. I own several stagger feed dbm's. The qork pretty good for hunting, but not as well as the newer designed dbm's for the centerfeed models.

Somewhere in FAQ's there is articles and pics about all the actions and magazine and dbm systems over the years.

Basic Member
    Every day's a school day!

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it some more.

Basic Member
    Yeah. I did not have a very friendly tone in that post. I was having trouble with my computer and was frustrated. Wanted to answer the question and couldn't get it done.

Anyhow, you got the point.

For the sake of future readers: And yes, SAVAGE stagger feed models DO have a mag box that is attached to the action, and their center feed models have magazines that only attach to the stock. That is correct. However, "stagger feed" has more to do with the style of the magazine and shape of the follower. The cartridges are somewhat staggered along side each other in the mag and are pushed up into place in a way they are not actually CENTERED as they leave the mag. Centerfeed has the cartridges stacking one directly over the other and they are centered more under the action as they are pushed up into it.

So... Savage stagger feeds mags are attached to the action, and they are easily identified that way, but that is not what makes them stagger feed. :)