Thread: Older deer hunter needs advice

Older deer hunter needs advice

I am an elderly deer hunter. I just bought a Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP in .308. This after market stock thing is confusing. I am wanting to put a wood thumbhole stock on it. My gun has the bottom bolt release and The detachable magazine. Could someone please tell me in terms I will understand what stock and any other parts I need ? I want to replace it myself to save money. Any help would be appreciated

The Trophy Hunter's use the Axis style detachable magazine. Unfortunately, if you're wanting to get a Boyds stock it doesn't look like they currently have the right option in their drop-down menu system for your rifle. They have the Model 111 Trophy Hunter Bottom Bolt Release, but not the Model 11. Maybe calls Boyds on this as given how many Model 11 Trophy Hunters Savage sells every year I'm sure they have a program for it and it was just an oversight that it's not in the website menu.

The Model 11 Bottom Bolt Release won't work because it's inlet for the higher end detachable magazine with separate bottom metal.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    To convert you will need a wood thumbhole Savage SA, Center Feed (4.40" spacing), Bottom Bolt Release Stock with DBM inlet (Boyd's). I assume since you are from the old school you want to go with metal bottom parts. You will need a metal bottom bolt release trigger guard, metal DBM frame assembly (surround), metal DBM bottom cap and short front action/stock bolt. These parts can be ordered direct from Savage Arms. If money is tight, you can use your current plastic trigger guard, purchase a plastic DBM frame assembly from Savage Arms. It will work with your current DBM with the plastic bottom cap and Axis-style latch system.

Welcome to the site...
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Thank you. That is the best explanation I have received that I can understand. I was hoping for a drop in version. Guess I’m stuck with the factory plastic stock. Oh well. Thanks again p