Thread: Ever play the Coin Game?

Basic Member

Ever play the Coin Game?

Behind one of the coins on this target is a group I shot. Guess which coin and which group and reveal the target!

Rifle was a Savage 12FV in 308 with a cheap 6-24x50 scope with weaver bases and UTG Rings. Target distance is 100 Yds. Bullet is a 168gr Hornady Amax using IMR 4064 and LC 74 brass.

Ready? Go...

Basic Member
    I gotta be honest, there’s no way you even connected! Where’s that broadside of a barn that you said you had??? Let’s find them holes on it to be sure you were even pointing in the right direction :)

All jokes aside - ever tried the the new eld bullets from Hornady??? Supposedly the red tips would melt and the eld tips don’t IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    How many shots? I would need some FAT fiddy cent pieces and proper camera angle to hide my hunting shelf ammo. I vote nickle

Basic Member
    No I have not tried the ELD's Yet. I am hoping to though since they no longer make the A-Max.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRCHIRO View Post
    I gotta be honest, there’s no way you even connected! Where’s that broadside of a barn that you said you had??? Let’s find them holes on it to be sure you were even pointing in the right direction :)

All jokes aside - ever tried the the new eld bullets from Hornady??? Supposedly the red tips would melt and the eld tips don’t IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Lol. I hear you there. I have shot some ugly groups with off the shelf ammo I couldn't cover with a silver dollar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    How many shots? I would need some FAT fiddy cent pieces and proper camera angle to hide my hunting shelf ammo. I vote nickle

Basic Member
    Try 4320 at some point. Its pretty much the same but finer granuals and meters much nicer than 4064.
    Works very well in 308 and 06 size cases. An old Jack Oconner article put me onto that years ago as it was a favorite of his for that reason.

Nothing new about red tips on Amaxes as they used those back in the 80s. They also used a silver metal tip for a short time also. As i recall that came first, then the red tip.
    The original 162 gr match bullet was the one that made lots of hay for Hornady among long range hunters.
    It was introduced about 1970 and was the bullet that doomed the 6.5x 300 wby with PA long rangers.
    The very first one had a very high bc, as i recall over 700. After a couple years for some reason they changed the design and the bc was considerably lower. I still have some of the originals, maybe 200, and they are noticibly more pointed than gen 2 which i also have and still use.
    The Amax came about later, but most guys stayed with the match bullet for l/r hunting.
    I do know a few who switched to JLKs, and they for sure work very well.

Basic Member
    I have considered a few powders based on others experience but that's the first I have heard the story abut Jack O'Conner. I hear a lot of good things about Varget in .308 too. Have some H4895 to try out as well. I'm thinking about trying some SMK's and some Berger's just to round it up a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Try 4320 at some point. Its pretty much the same but finer granuals and meters much nicer than 4064.
    Works very well in 308 and 06 size cases. An old Jack Oconner article put me onto that years ago as it was a favorite of his for that reason.

Nothing new about red tips on Amaxes as they used those back in the 80s. They also used a silver metal tip for a short time also. As i recall that came first, then the red tip.
    The original 162 gr match bullet was the one that made lots of hay for Hornady among long range hunters.
    It was introduced about 1970 and was the bullet that doomed the 6.5x 300 wby with PA long rangers.
    The very first one had a very high bc, as i recall over 700. After a couple years for some reason they changed the design and the bc was considerably lower. I still have some of the originals, maybe 200, and they are noticibly more pointed than gen 2 which i also have and still use.
    The Amax came about later, but most guys stayed with the match bullet for l/r hunting.
    I do know a few who switched to JLKs, and they for sure work very well.

Nickel smiley face is my vote
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Under the nickle it looks like the edge of a bullet hole at 11 and 5 o'clock, and possibly 1 o'clock. Could just be lighting, but im going to guess nickle since the paper is wrinkled more beside it. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

If it isn't under the nickle, Then you missed
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Nickel smiley face is my vote
    Under the Nickle with 5 shots, but not a smiley!
    Last edited by Wreck-n-Crew; 01-07-2018 at 11:59 AM. Reason: pic link wont work

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post
    I have considered a few powders based on others experience but that's the first I have heard the story abut Jack O'Conner. I hear a lot of good things about Varget in .308 too. Have some H4895 to try out as well. I'm thinking about trying some SMK's and some Berger's just to round it up a bit.
    Not saying your gun might shoot better, just saying it would most likely shoot just as well, but you would no doubt like it better due to how it flows thru the powder measure.
    I'm not absolutely sure that different bullets of good quality make all that much difference for at least most of us.
    Unless were willing to explore various seating depths with each, are we really testing them?
    Or have we just stumbled onto something that works well with one but not another?

If i said i have 300 different jig combinations on my boat with me when i fish, id be lying.
    Because i probably have more than that.
    But i could also no doubt give 295 of them away, and still catch as many fish. LOL