Thread: Coate stocks ??

Team Savage

Coate stocks ??

Tell me about them..Are they a decent stock for savage actions..Are they easy to control ?

Misspelled choate.

I guess it depends on your expectations and which model you choose. I have experience with 2 different models.
    I have an older ultimate sniper stock for a pre accutrigger flatback that is a heavy unit and the spacers for the butt are steel. Using them is kinda like adding iron barbells to the butt of the rifle. Depending on the application this feature can be a pro or a con. The sloped fore end seems to ride the bags well at the bench and makes elevation adjustments easy and solid.The full length aluminum bedding block free floats the barrel and the tang very well with plenty of room all around. The grip is very large smaller folks may not like it but it's okay by me. It's a good stock for bench work, offhand not so much.
    I also have one of their tactical stocks for a long action heavy barrel setup. They were one of the first and the few to offer a reasonably priced stock for the 110FPs. Though I typically have no problem with the factory synthetics, in the case of the 110FPs, the factory stock just wasn't robust enough to provide clearance for the long heavy barrel. I like the Choate Tactical for this rifle and though beefy and on the heavy side it's not nearly as heavy as the ultimate sniper. The tactical model came with plastic spacers for length of pull so that helps with the weight a little but I wonder if all the spacers are plastic now as the ultimate sniper model with steel spacers is a much older model.
    They fit the action well and came with a trigger guard and action screws so the fit on both was pretty much drop in, torque it down and go shoot. They are very good stocks especially for the price and I would buy either again for a heavy barreled casual bench gun.
    As far as ease to control I have had no issues getting my bullets go where they are supposed to.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    Greatly appreciate your reply..thinking about getting the sniper model for prone shooting..
    I admit they are kind of ugly,but if they work,i could care less...

I have a tactical stock on one of my model 10,s (K) in 308. Issues I've had with mine is the stock itself was warped slightly at the barrel end. Really doesn't effect accuracy, the barrel is still free floating. I had an issue with the front stock to receiver bolt constantly comming loose. I took a foot print of receiver to stock fit and found slight discrepancy at the recoil lug area. I bed the stock at front recoil lug area and took care of the issue. The adjustable front rifle sling lug that's used to hold
    my Harris bipod creeps itself forward, bipod and all due to the set screw that holds the adjustable lug comming loose. I could drill and tap it but I just keep my eye on it thru initial rifle inspection before every firing.
    As mentioned, it's a bit on the heavy side.
    Now that I mentioned all the cons I'll give you what I consider the pros. For the money it's a dam good stock. I have bigger hands and the thicker palm swell
    Is perfect. Imo, it's more stable than my HS stock. The weight helps for bench shooting.

I’ve used their tactical stock for across the course high power with a M10 ad it’s a very useful stock for position shooting.
    Choate has some great customer service . I broke my first stock being careless and dropping the rifle. It weighed 20 something pounds with lead in the stock and a 28” bull .223 barrel and they replaced the stock without question.
    the aluminum block in the stock works great no bedding required just torque your action screws and everything stays put and shooting remains consistent. For the money it was a great value for for performance and met all of my needs I would highly recommend their product.

Have used both the Sniper and Varmint stocks from Choate. Liked the Varmint model much better but both were solid.

Team Savage
    now to sell a barrel to get extra funds..lol..thanks

Basic Member
    Choate really puts out a heck of a stock for the price, I like the bedding block and the material they are made of. As the popularity of long range shooting has grown by leaps and bounds the last few years I hope they might consider adding a model or two with a few changes to the shape, especially in the forend area. I'd like to see less taper toward the front on the bottom of the forend more parellel to the barrel , get rid of the groves and the sling swivel provision on the forend. I know its really expensive to create a mold. I'm not sure if they machine molds in house or farm them out, in house would be ideal for creativity. I'd like to see them get with the leading shooters of the f class/long range communinity for ideas. Before I retired we were always under a lot of pressure to increase sales and profits for the next year. This would certainly do it for them.