Thread: Budget 6.5 Creedmoor LRP/Hunting Build

Budget 6.5 Creedmoor LRP/Hunting Build

So I decided a little before Thanksgiving that I wanted to do a budget precision long range/hunting build. Something that I could do some long range plinking with extreme accuracy but still be light and short enough to carry around hunting. Well Savage's yearly $100 end of year rebate and Field and Streams yearly holiday sale sounded like the perfect chance to get my platform. So I bought my Axis XP in 6.5 Creedmoor. Figured perfect for long range as we all know and in my opinion an excellent choice for hunting caliber. $220 after mail-in-rebate seemed like a great start. Then Cabelas had a steal on a scope, so I jumped on it. Did my own trigger job which made a world of difference. Currently only have a couple things left to get. Trying to keep it under $1k with glass, which I'll be able to do unless I swap barrel. If I go to heavy barrel then I'm looking at being a little over budget but not by much. So we'll see what happens. Goal of shooting at least moa to sub moa at 1,000yds with my easy to carry hunting rifle seems rather lofty of a goal but I'm gonna try. Worst case I'll still have a rifle I built and can enjoy that should prove to be super accurate at average Pennsylvania hunting distances. I'll keep you all posted on how I'm making out.

Here's my build list:
    -Savage Axis XP in 6.5 Creedmoor - $220
    -Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x44 - $350
    -EGW 20moa Picatinny Rail - $36
    -Leupold PRW 30mm Medium Rings - $24
    -Custom Trigger Job - $1
    -Butler Creek Scope Covers - $16
    -Butler Creek Sling - $5
    Total: $652

Coming soon:
    -Boyd's At-one, Prarie Hunter or Varmint Stock
    -Glass Bedding
    -Bipod
    -Witt Machine Muzzle Break

Welcome to the addiction!! We all started off just like this... It is so very rewarding when you have it out in the field or on the range and shooting nice groups... and you did it yourself. I did put a Prairie hunter on my first one, and for what you want to do with yours, I'd also recommend the Prairie hunter for it's light weight. It's not as light as the synthetic that came with the axis, but it is lighter than the Pro Varmint by a bit.

I love the Pro Varmint that I have on my 260, but it's more of a bench gun then it is a pack it on the mountain hunting rifle, although it's not so heavy that I wouldn't use it for hunting. (13 lbs +-) In fact, I took it Elk hunting this year as my "backup' gun.

If you wind up with the Prairie hunter or Pro Varmint-- I highly suggest pillar bedding the action more so than glass bedding, as it made more of a difference. You may wind up doing both as I did on my Prairie Hunter.

And if you wind up putting a "good" barrel on it, take a look at Criterion or Shilen. Both of which you can purchase through Northland Shooter Supply.

Good luck to you,

Good plan....I also procured a Vortex HSLR for my 12FV, 22-250Rem and love it....Looking for stock options after X-mas....Good luck to yah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171201_1449224_rewind.jpg   IMG_20171201_1449130_rewind.jpg  
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Thanks. Yea I'm pretty excited about it. Can't wait to get it setup and out on the range. Once she's all dialed in I'll have to make a trip to a range that's got over 300 which I may be in for a drive haha. Yea I'm leaning towards the Prarie Hunter so probably go that route. And thanks for the tip for the bedding. I'll probably do both then. And yea I'm looking into barrels but wanna see how it shoots first before I decide. Without barrel I'm in budget so hoping I'm happy with it haha

Thanks and you as well. Only looked through the Vortex a little but really happy with the little bit I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by Jcopp2008 View Post
    yea I'm looking into barrels but wanna see how it shoots first before I decide. Without barrel I'm in budget so hoping I'm happy with it haha
    It will shoot 1 MOA maybe a little better.... Then you'll start wanting to really shrink them down... Like I said, It's an addiction... You'll want them all touching to start with.... Then you'll want them all in the same hole.... It keeps going and going....

Oh yea I've always wanted my rifles to cut holes and that was just basic hunting rifles, not anything built for precision. But already can feel the itch to put them through the same holes haha. I plan on reloading for it as well so I know that'll help. Need as accurate as possible right? Never know when the opportunity for a million dollar shot will come up where ya have to hit a dime at 1k yards haha

There may be cartridges out there that have better potential but t he 6.5 Creedmoor can get you there with a smile on your face. Looks like a dynamite budget build.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    It will shoot 1 MOA maybe a little better.... Then you'll start wanting to really shrink them down... Like I said, It's an addiction... You'll want them all touching to start with.... Then you'll want them all in the same hole.... It keeps going and going....
    SO True....Went thru a box of 20 now (Hornady Varmints Express 40gr.) and Bore Cleaned it vigorously every 4-5 shots....My custom stop (CRS) is set and waiting for the perfect shot groups at 100yards......Pix of last range day, 4 shots, all but one touched....Darn it boy....Room for improvement.....

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    There may be cartridges out there that have better potential but t he 6.5 Creedmoor can get you there with a smile on your face. Looks like a dynamite budget build.
    Thanks I'm hoping so!

Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    SO True....Went thru a box of 20 now (Hornady Varmints Express 40gr.) and Bore Cleaned it vigorously every 4-5 shots....My custom stop (CRS) is set and waiting for the perfect shot groups at 100yards......Pix of last range day, 4 shots, all but one touched....Darn it boy....Room for improvement.....
    Always room for improvement haha. I know once I get a load made up that I love I'll get the dial made. Will definitely be handy.

So been shopping around for my rings. Well at my job they give us gift cards from time to time if ya meet goals or do an exceptional job above what's asked of us. Got one today so picked out Leupold PRW 30mm Medium rings and after the gift cards, $24 out of my pocket is all. Not bad at all if I say so myself. Doing better and better with my budget each day.

Your on a roll....Good to go...Congrats