Thread: high magnification, long eye relief handgun scope

Basic Member

high magnification, long eye relief handgun scope

All right then, let's begin the unicorn hunt.

I'm back playing with long range, rifle caliber, bolt action, hand cannons. (striker and XP-100)

Currently, I'm using relatively low power (2 to 6 X) hand gun scopes on my long range (200 to 450 yards) hunting hand cannons, What I need is more magnification, up to 24 X, with a larger exit pupil circle, full field of view and an eye relief distance on the order of 16 to 18 inches. (like the Bushnell pistol scope line, but at a higher magnification.)

My somewhat limited knowledge of optics leads me to believe that it should be possible to craft an add on eyepiece for a high power rifle scope, similar to the spotting scope interchangeable eye piece, that would alter the focal length, and thus the eye relief, of a quality rifle scope.

The world of long range hand guns is a pretty small market, so most manufacturers are not looking to produce scopes or any add ons in small quantity runs.

I think I'm looking for something similar to the 2X and 3X camera lens adapters or the military style 3X ACOG drop on multipliers.

OK, hip boots all 'round, lets go find the unicorn...

Basic Member
    There are quite a few long range pistol shooters out there, including a few who contribute to this site on occaision.
    For sure there is a section on the Long Range Hunting site devoted to that.
    There is a guy on there by name of Ernie Bishop who uses the name Ernie who is an active shooter/competitor with large pistols.
    Another guy who is or at least was a member here and dosen't seem to mind shooting out to 2000 yds. with his so called pistols.

Have your barrels threaded for muzzle brakes and use rifle scopes. I had strikers in 223, 243, 30 Bellm still have this one, and 450 Bushmaster. All used rifle scopes. If you don't like brakes all you can do is add a lot weight to the guns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0371.jpg   IMG_0058.jpg  

Check out specialty pistols forum.

Team Savage
    The folks in OZ really like those pictures.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Burris makes a long eye relief 3-12x handgun scope. https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...cope-3-12x32mm
    According to the specs the eye relief is 10 - 19 in. at low, 10-12.5 in. at high. This being said a 24x with 16-18" of eye relief like you're looking for sounds either very very expensive, non existent or both.
    I don't own one of their handgun scopes but swear by their rifle scopes.
    I shoot a 2X on my 8" .357 revolver because any more magnification and the recticle bounces around too much while trying to get steady while hunting. That and a .357 handgun isn't exactly my first choice past 50 yards with maybe 100 yards for bad case of big buck fever and any further than that just for fun.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I shopped around a bit, $589.00 retail should be available for ~ 350.00, BUT I couldn't find one in stock. Sounds very user friendly and just enough magnification to work well out to about 350 yards. I'll keep searching, thanks for the lead.

That scope would be exactly what I need, if I had a 2 X (doubler) for the objective end. 16 to 19 inch eye relief would be plenty, and very welcome.

Currently, I'm making do with a 6.5 X 25 X 50 Simmons, using all the tricks listed in an earlier post and a really good magazine article. (effective brake and "fuzzing")

I had a crazy idea, picked up from my SLR camera days, before everything went digital, that the doubler (2X) and trippler (3X) that I used between my camera objective lens and the camera body, might somehow be adapted to a rifle scope objective lens. Or perhaps a device fitted/adapted to the scope eyepiece, accomplishing the same effect. (doubling the magnification while maintaining the longer eye relief. (15 to 19 inches)

I started this thread, hoping to find an optics guru or somebody walking the long range road, to prove or disprove my theories.

A magnification adapter, for the objective lens, might be useful for more than just the long eye relief crowd. There must be some cross over lens/ filter adapters in the camera world that cross to scopes. (40 , 42, and 50 mm are common sizes in the specialty lens and photographic filter mount world)

I have cobbled together some long and effective shade tubes, with polarizing filters that limit mirage. Camera stores have whole racks of possibilities.

Thanks, Paul

Basic Member
    I think you should keep working on the doubler idea for the objective lens on the Simmons, and keep us posted on your progress.

If I remember right someone did a review of an optics enhancer or some such device and then it wound up re posted while back.
    I think it may have been Mr Furious.
    I searched with all the terms I could think of and can't seem to find the article or review.
    I'm not sure if it was even something that would work for this application or not but I found it interesting.
    Maybe someone can help me out and find it as my Google Fu it seems is apparently lacking right now.

Basic Member
    Lets continue to play along, Thanks, Paul in Floriduh.

Basic Member
    Boy houdy, my google foo seems to be weaker each day. I got no help, or interest from the "manufacturers" or importers of most of the optical gear we use every day, SO, Anybody out there have any idea who, or what organization I can direct my questions / theory's to. There must be independent labs or small optical companies that would be interested in our/my quest, or, at least have enough knowledge/experience to tell me "that dog won't hunt"

Good old American know how didn't die with the last generation...

Lets continue to play along, Thanks, Paul in Floriduh.

All right RC5 I found it. Seems like my Google Fu often works better than my memory.
    Not sure if this helps or not but it is interesting

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Booster-Review

Here's a link to the manufacturer
    http://www.bulzeyepro.com/

Good luck

Basic Member
    As a rule boosting the power solves one issue, but then magnifys others.
    Selecting the issue your interested in solving, while not affecting others would be quite an accomplishment.
    I'm surprised that the device shown hasent received more attention if in fact it is what is claimed.

Basic Member
    All right then, late last night, I dropped an email to the link above, Bullseyepro, This morning , about 10:00, my phone rang. I had a very informative conversation with a guy that really knows his product, and a whole bunch more. He volunteered to send me some product to evaluate, then buy or return, my choice. Can't beat that kind of customer service.

I'm still trying to find the Burris 3 to 12 X 32 LER, when I get one in hand I'll call for the doubler and one for my 2-6 x Burris pistol scope. Bullseyepro says His lens, on the variable power pistol scope, will yield almost 14X, that ought to be fun to play with.

He even has a parallax eliminator, so I will try one of them also.

Thanks Big Honkin Jeep, I was just spinnin' my wheels, until you found that link.

Paul in Venice

Glad to help. I have been curious since seeing the review on that bulzeye pro a while back.
    Be sure and let us all know what you think after you get a chance to evaluate it.

Check your inbox I sent you some more info you may find helpful via PM