Thread: Leupold 2x7 question. Which reticle

Basic Member

Leupold 2x7 question. Which reticle

I'm planning on putting a VX-2 2x7 on my 300 Win Mag. This rifle could see an elk hunt in some dense timber and possibly a black bear hunt where brownies could also be hanging out so I'm looking for field of view. Of course the 300-400 yard shot could be a possibility too. My question is: would you purchase the standard duplex or the LR duplex ?

Basic Member
    STD. Maybe heavy DP. 7X is not much magnification, so I don't imagine the extra dots help all that much, but I don't know for sure. They certainly don't hurt anything, but I personally prefer the heavy reticle pushed closer to the center of the scope for easier, quick sighting in close, heavy cover.

Basic Member
    It is hard to go wrong with the regular duplex with a practical zero. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is whether or not you would benefit from a Long Range reticle? I don't hunt deer anymore, but it was highly uncommon for me to shoot a deer over 75 yards because of where I hunted. However, if you plan to shoot long distances, the holdover dots may come in handy. Otherwise, I would go with the standard duplex and set a good zero that will cover all your distances for a kill shot. I like the simplicity of that, especially if you might be shooting at something that may want to eat you.

I don't tout myself as much of a hunter, so the others here may have a better insight on things.

I'm with Foxx on this one... 7X isn't very much magnification at all... I have a 30-06 for hunting Elk and I hunt with a 4-12x40 VX2. Most of my shots are under 150 yards and closer to 100 to be honest. I hunt with it on 5X for brush hogging or thick stuff, but I find that @ 200 yards I really prefer the 12X to a 9X for example (had 3-9 X on everything for a long time), but I just like being able to see past 150 yards. I'm 44 now and my eyes, while still good (only reading glasses) aren't what they used to be.

I have the standard duplex and I sight my rifle in 2" high @ 100 yards, so I basically just have to hold dead on out to 200 yards. I won't shoot at an elk past that distance as the 30-06 just doesn't carry enough energy at that range to take down Elk in my opinion.

Basic Member
    Just my 2 cents. The choice really depends on the type of shooter you are. Are you a technical shooter or as I am, a practical hunter. My 2 primary scopes are a 2.5 - 10 and a 3-9. I used to leave the scopes at their lowest power but now I pretty hunt with them at 6X. I don't have any problem picking up game even in the brush at that magnification. It may be because I have used the setup so many times when I bring up the rifle it is pretty much lined. I do not hunt with a rangefinder and on longer shot I just use Kentucky windage. I have missed a few shots, but I have made most of them. How do you hunt, will the dots help you?

SageRat Shooter, I shoot a 30-06 AI. I agree with you on the limitations of the 30-06, however, a few months ago I went on a feral cattle eradication hunt. I loaded some Nosler 200 gr Accubonds to their maximum recommended load (velocity 2738fps). At the conclusion of the hunt, there were some cattle on the hillside a ways away. The club president dared me - "you shoot em and I'll go get em". I took the shot and the cow went down. The guys with rangefinders said 640 yards. Lucky shot - absolutely. I am very impressed with the load. I also shot 3 other cows that day, all dropped with one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku_Rodney View Post
    SageRat Shooter, I shoot a 30-06 AI. I agree with you on the limitations of the 30-06, however, a few months ago I went on a feral cattle eradication hunt. I loaded some Nosler 200 gr Accubonds to their maximum recommended load (velocity 2738fps). At the conclusion of the hunt, there were some cattle on the hillside a ways away. The club president dared me - "you shoot em and I'll go get em". I took the shot and the cow went down. The guys with rangefinders said 640 yards. Lucky shot - absolutely. I am very impressed with the load. I also shot 3 other cows that day, all dropped with one shot.
    Haiku Rodney,

With a 200 grain bullet, I'd be a little more likely to extend to 400 yards, but I'm only shooting a 168 gr. Barnes TTSX.. 2 years ago, I shot a 5 point bull right through the heart, @ 145 yards and he still ran more than 200 yards before he pilled up on a deadfall.

That's where I get my reluctance to shoot past the 200 yard range. It's just my opinion, nothing more. the ballistics for my 260 rem say that I could bring down an Elk out to 400 yards (1500 ft.lbs) but I just don't have the confidence that it will get it done. Maybe I'll be able to bring myself to try someday, but I'd have to see how my 143 ELD-X performs on some smaller bodied critters first.

Basic Member
    SageRat,
    I agree with you. I am not a long range shooter. I usually try to get within 200 yards before taking a shot. This was an odd situation and quite frankly I was very surprised and pleased with the outcome. Going forward, I prefer to get closer. I do think it is unethical to take marginal shots. I admit I took the shot due to peer pressure and it was not the smartest thing to do.

Team Savage
    I see no downsides to the LR reticle. I have owned several 2-7x32 Leupy's and love that scope for it's size and weight. I have thought many times about sending them in to have the reticle swapped for a LR. To me, that reticle is unobtrusive but still very useful.

Team Savage
    I'd go with the simple duplex or wind plex reticle and CDS dial. Sight-in at 200 and dial it in for any thing beyond 300.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    I'd go with the simple duplex or wind plex reticle and CDS dial. Sight-in at 200 and dial it in for any thing beyond 300.
    I have the VX2 4-12x40 and I don't think I'd go with the CDS dial... I don't feel that the turrets track that well to be dialing. I would zero at 200 yards and hold off for anything longer.

As has been said, and SageRat pointed out, just depends on what he wants.
    CDS systems rarely work as they are advertised, they are close... But so is holding over where you THINK the drop would be. CDS systems are calibrated for A single BC, from A single velocity, with A single atmosphere in mind.
    I don't hunt in the same weather everytime. Muzzle velocity is rarely identical, bullets change and don't have a single G1 anyway.
    If the OP is going for more of a PBR shooting game, then standard is perfectly fine. If dialing is more in his wheelhouse, then get away from SFP as fast as you can.