Thread: 12FV barrel break in

12FV barrel break in

I'm breaking in a 6.5 creedmoor I got from Cabela's and I'm getting a copper smear about an inch from the muzzle. There could be more-that's all I can see without a borescope. It's not a little copper-it's a good amount. It doesn't seem to be getting any better after 5 shots, cleaning to bare metal after every shot.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Dan

Savage barrels are known to get heavy copper fouling... How is it shooting? As long as it's shooting well, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Congrats on your 12FV....Excellent shooters...
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Shoot one of the new Enduron powders from Hodgdon (according to them it has "additives to reduce and remove copper fouling"). ;-)

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-need-to-know/

Personally - I use Shooter's Choice solvent and occasionally a wipe of J-B Bore Paste.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I have the same gun, It puked the blue on the last douching . I am at 60 shots at a guess. Certainly not my finest savage barrel, but it prints under an inch. I am interested in some more replies.

Basic Member
    I bought a 12 fv in 308 almost two years ago. Short version of the story... The rifle was shooting poorly and I found a short section of the barrel was slightly bigger in diameter than 308. I could see it. I called savage, they emailed me a shipping label, and a few weeks later I had the rifle back with a new barrel. There was a defect in the barrel and savage was great about replacing it. If you can see a visible difference in the barrel you might call savage and see what the CS rep says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop cleaning it and just shoot it. It will get better after 80-100 rounds.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    +1.

Basic Member
    +2.

Basic Member
    I have 300 rounds through my 10T and it shoots absolutely fantastic. It started off about an inch and a quarter. I cleaned it after every 5 rounds until i hit 20. I haven't cleaned it since and it just shot better and better until i hit 60. When i got done shooting for the year it was at about 5/8 of an inch. My brother can stack them with that gun, but he is better than me. At the end of the year i just ran an oil patch, no solvent... it wasn't ready for cleaning yet.

Basic Member
    +3

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I have 300 rounds through my 10T and it shoots absolutely fantastic. It started off about an inch and a quarter. I cleaned it after every 5 rounds until i hit 20. I haven't cleaned it since and it just shot better and better until i hit 60. When i got done shooting for the year it was at about 5/8 of an inch. My brother can stack them with that gun, but he is better than me. At the end of the year i just ran an oil patch, no solvent... it wasn't ready for cleaning yet.
    With my limited experience, I have seen barrels settle down after about 100 rounds. On those same barrels I have done a rigorous break-in. My opinion is I just don't think it does much. As stated, I think you need to get at least 100 rounds down the pipe on (especially) a Savage barrel before a final assessment on accuracy is made. I don't think I am doing any more break-ins in the future.

Basic Member
    I, too, believe Savage factory barrels will generally shoot better after 90-120 rounds without heavy cleaning. Complete, vigorous cleaning and removing all the copper deposits does one thing... takes you back to zero.

All that copper you're seeing is copper that has accumulated inside the gouges and scratches and various tool marks left behind because they don't bother lapping them. As the bullet passes, copper is deposited INTO the pits and as you shoot more, more copper is deposited till you eventually fill in the pits and scratches. By 80-120 rounds, you've filled them in nicely. Leave it alone and just clean carbon and powder fouling going forward. Maybe occasional LIGHT copper solvent.

There is no way to confirm or prove any of this, but experience seems to demonstrates it's true.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I should add that i have a 22-250 12fv that i skipped the initial cleaning and it shot around 60 rounds before it settled in under 5/8 groups, and at best i shot 3 consecutive 1/3 inch 3 shot groups the last time i had it out. It still has under 100 rounds through it.

Basic Member
    Dan,
    i have two 12FV in 22-250 and 6.5, both unfired for project purposes. I just looked through the barrels after reading your post and only the 6.5 creedmor has some cooper about an inch from the muzzle! It sux but what can I expect from a 219$ gun afterall ��.

It looks like the consensus is to just shoot it. I posted a while back about the muzzle of this gun being messed up, which I have fixed. I guess the QC guy was off that day. I haven't shot it at a target yet- I was shooting into a bullet trap I rigged up in the back yard. I guess I'll throw a scope on it and take it to the range and see how it does. Thanks for the replies.

Dan