Thread: Boyds Pro Varmint for 12FV

Boyds Pro Varmint for 12FV

I received a Boyds Pro Varmint stock for a 12FV. The action and barrel fit in fine, but the trigger guard does not. Has anyone had and solved this problem? I recently put on their AT ONE stock, but first had to dremel, route and chisel to get the trigger guard to fit. Hopefully, I won't have to do that on this stock. I appreciate any solutions you offer.

Basic Member
    I bet you'll have to get the dremel out, but only you know where the problem lies. You should probably post some pictures ounce completed......

Basic Member
    yep. It happens. There are at least 2 different trigger guards for these. The Accutrigger trigger guards are wider than the older ones. There are also some older ones with a more flat bottom/top. Then there's the newer ones with a boot heel towards the front. Either you gotta relieve the stock to fit or grind away the trigger guard as necessary.

Get the dremel out... My Brother had to open up the trigger guard slot on his Bobby Hart LRT also... It took about 3-4 minutes to resolve if you have the correct size dremel head already....

Pixs....We Likey pixs here....Thanks
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Any luck yet? Was looking at one of those myself for my 12FV. Don't they show an optional trigger guard that's supposed to fit and longer screws if needed?
    #10 G.I. Vietnam. You got anymore ammo?

Basic Member
    Common problem, correct trigger guards are available from Numrich, Savage and Boyds. The one on Boyds site called an Axis trigger guard looks to be the correct one.
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/accessories/page/3/

Get the correct one and it's a drop-in fit. This link shows the difference. http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/3.html
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Fitted the trigger guard using a dremel with sanding drum to lengthen the inlet. Then a DeWalt Pony router with straight bit to deepen the front end. A little chisel work to clean up the sides and done.
    [IMG]

I finally got to the range with the new 6.5 CM in the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. I took along a fresh box of Fusion 140 grainers to break the gun in a bit. Got the rifle all set up on the new Harris bipod and bore sighted the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 44 at 50 yards. Now, I am purty darn anxious to see if this Savage 12fv 6.5 CM shoots as accurately as its .223 mate so I chamber a round...or tried to chamber a round. The bolt won't close, grrrrrr.
    The sympathetic range master gave back my money and I went home.
    Using a bore light I could see no blockage. I took off the scope and rail, removed the stock, then cycled the action without a problem. Then, with a round chambered, again I couldn't lower the bolt handle at all. The Fusion rounds all fit within SAAMI specs. I'm thinking the chamber reamer went home early! What do you think?

Noooo.....What happened??? Cold outside???
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Savage asked me to return it.

Seems like Savage had a pretty large batch of 6.5 CM barrels with this problem that went out recently. This is probably the 5-6th thread on this type on here in the last few weeks.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Mc View Post
    I finally got to the range with the new 6.5 CM in the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. I took along a fresh box of Fusion 140 grainers to break the gun in a bit. Got the rifle all set up on the new Harris bipod and bore sighted the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 44 at 50 yards. Now, I am purty darn anxious to see if this Savage 12fv 6.5 CM shoots as accurately as its .223 mate so I chamber a round...or tried to chamber a round. The bolt won't close, grrrrrr.
    The sympathetic range master gave back my money and I went home.
    Using a bore light I could see no blockage. I took off the scope and rail, removed the stock, then cycled the action without a problem. Then, with a round chambered, again I couldn't lower the bolt handle at all. The Fusion rounds all fit within SAAMI specs. I'm thinking the chamber reamer went home early! What do you think?
    I had the exact same thing happen on Savage 10 T-Sr in 6 mm Creedmoor. I got it back from Savage and they just said it was a tight chamber. You are exactly right. They didn’t ream the chamber out enough.