Thread: 220 re-barrel anyone?

220 re-barrel anyone?

New to the forum. I have a 220 slug gun that I am going to re-barrel. I have the wrench and have done my 10ML2's to convert them to 45 cals, so the work is not an issue. I ordered a Shaw pre-fit to replace the factory barrel. Reason being you can actually see tooling marks on the lands at the muzzle. Has anybody else does this re-barrel? looks like you can rent the go/no-go gauge for about 10 bucks. Thanks.

I guess my first question to you would be how did the factory barrel shoot? Some tooling marks in factory barrels are pretty much the norm unless it's a hammer forged barrel. Won't affect accuracy any, but will cause the barrel to foul quicker - but in this case we're talking about saboted slugs so that's kind of a moot point.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

The only thing it will shoot is 3 inch accutips. I ran a pile of slug through it before I sent it back to savage, and that is what they said it would shoot. I really want to shoot the Tarhunt bore size slugs and they are all over. Talking with them they are finding that the barrels that won't shoot are oversized. I think this may be part of my problem. That is what I found with my 10ML, the barrel was overbored.

If I can figure out how I will post a pic. The tooling marks are pretty bad.

Basic Member
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was the after market barrel and did it shoot better?

Thanks

Casey

the barrels was around $280 shipped. I swapped out the recoil lug and nut while it was apart so there was another $100. I actually just got everything back together and have only shot a few rounds. So far it shot well, but I haven't got serious yet with a couple different slug types.

Basic Member
    I looked into the TarHunt re-barrel package and that doesn't look like a bad deal. I am going to hunt with it this year but limit my shots to 100 yards but I think after season I may send mine to TarHunt and let them re-barrel and bed.

Casey