Thread: Boyds pro varmit?????

Basic Member

Boyds pro varmit?????

Has anyone had any experience with the boyds pro varmint for a axis 2 xp? Pros cons is it worth the $$$$$

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

They look functional and sexy...Thinking of my 12FV soon....That or Choate
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    I run a boyds pro varmint on my .243 11-VT and I wouldn't to hesitate to buy another one. I had to open up the barrel channel myself, as Boyds didn't offer a heavy barrel option at the time, but the mod was simple. I (surprisingly) sold my factory stock on Ebay for $75, cutting my Boyds purchase price in 1/2.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    With a little work they are good stocks at a solid price point. I would add both pillars and bed the action. You will get the most out of it having this done or learning to do it yourself! Best thing about Savages is not really worrying too much about messing up because the investment is pretty low.

I like the pro varmint a lot, it's very comfortable and functional. Works well as a long range hunting stock and off the bench.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the input guys looks like I'll be placing an order for one today

Noice...Congrats

Basic Member
    Thanks i ordered the pro varmit in zombie Hunter color

Basic Member
    Looks nice, I'm gonna swap out the stock on a short action Rem 6/284 with a varmit wt. barrel this winter and I will check that one out.
    Does the stock maker put the rear swivel stud where it interferes with the rear bag, or is that a personal choice option?

The Sling studs all come stock from the factory just like the picture above. You can take them out if you want.

Did their prices go up again? I just got one of their mass emails listing a "special buy" on plain Pro Varmints for the Axis for $129. I don't remember the original price being $153 though.

Does anyone know if the Pro Varmint comes in that camo wood color? Love that hint of green in there...with a taste of undertone....It's not a Cigar P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Does anyone know if the Pro Varmint comes in that camo wood color? Love that hint of green in there...with a taste of undertone....It's not a Cigar P.S.
    You can get them in any boyds color you just have to special order it that's what i had to do to mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Their colored hardwood is really pretty. My first Boyds stocks were a Pepper laminate and a Nutmeg laminate, but after getting my hands on a Royal Jarcanda, Coyote, and Forest Camo laminates, I wish I started getting the nicer patterns sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Their colored hardwood is really pretty. My first Boyds stocks were a Pepper laminate and a Nutmeg laminate, but after getting my hands on a Royal Jarcanda, Coyote, and Forest Camo laminates, I wish I started getting the nicer patterns sooner!
    Any chance of posting pixs of them???Thank you.

Basic Member
    Well I got it on guys thanks for the advice

Merry Fricken Christmas J....Congrats....LOOKS AWESOME....What is all done when ordered?? Looks glossy too. Well done...
    Don't shoot at the hamster in the glass box....LoL

Basic Member
    Savage axis pro varmit for short action bull barrel with 90° finish

Basic Member
    Here's my 12FV fitted with a 28" Bartlein barrel and bedded to a Pro Varmint stock. I use if for F-Open competition so I added a Delrin sled to the forearm to match my front rest and a Delrin wedge to the foot of the stock to change the angle so that it matches my rear bag.

I filled the magazine well and forearm void with lead shot to increase the weight. I like this stock a LOT more than my McMillan which costs 5 times as much.

The laminate is "Coyote" and since I like to name my rifles, I need to decide between "Wyle" or "Wile E". Should I use just the first name, or the first name and middle initial?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6864-Edit.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	4196

Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    Here's my 12FV fitted with a 28" Bartlein barrel and bedded to a Pro Varmint stock. I use if for F-Open competition so I added a Delrin sled to the forearm to match my front rest and a Delrin wedge to the foot of the stock to change the angle so that it matches my rear bag.

I filled the magazine well and forearm void with lead shot to increase the weight. I like this stock a LOT more than my McMillan which costs 5 times as much.

The laminate is "Coyote" and since I like to name my rifles, I need to decide between "Wyle" or "Wile E". Should I use just the first name, or the first name and middle initial?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6864-Edit.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	4196
    Mozella,

Where do I get one of those Derlin Wedge rear bag riders? That's exactly what I've been looking for to put on mine.... I also have the Coyote PV nice choice!! And my vote is "Wyle"...

Basic Member
    3 round group 100 yards this morning boyds stocks are awesome

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Mozella,

Where do I get one of those Derlin Wedge rear bag riders? That's exactly what I've been looking for to put on mine.... I also have the Coyote PV nice choice!! And my vote is "Wyle"...
    You make it.

Go on Ebay and buy a piece (I bought a square foot) of high density plastic of a suitable thickness. I used 5/8" to match the slot in my bag. Make a template of the right size and shape out of paper and glue it on the plastic. You might like the bottom edge of the stock parallel to the fore-stock, but I prefer a bit of an angle so that by sliding the rear bag forward and aft I can adjust the aim. Suit yourself and consider cutting out some cardboard prototypes if you wish so you can test the exact angle you find most suitable.

You can also make the wedge thicker or thinner to give you the kind of elevation you like when shooting from a bench or prone, especially if your rear bag is a little bit lower than you prefer.

Cut the wedge out with a band saw or jitter saw, or a hand saw if necessary.

Sand the edges smooth. I used a small block plane too and I put a bit of taper on the lower edge. Then drill three mounting holes starting with a 1/4" Forstner bit to make a counter sunk hole. Then drill for the mounting screws. Tape the wedge into position and drill pilot holes in the stock. Screw the wedge in place. Or, if you use flat head screws, simply counter sink the plastic so that the heads are flush or a bit more.

I knocked the lower corners off and rounded them a little bit with my low angle block plane. I also made my wedge a bit longer than the lower stock edge so that it is cantilevered out about an inch on the forward edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    You make it.

Go on Ebay and buy a piece (I bought a square foot) of high density plastic of a suitable thickness. I used 5/8" to match the slot in my bag. Make a template of the right size and shape out of paper and glue it on the plastic. You might like the bottom edge of the stock parallel to the fore-stock, but I prefer a bit of an angle so that by sliding the rear bag forward and aft I can adjust the aim. Suit yourself and consider cutting out some cardboard prototypes if you wish so you can test the exact angle you find most suitable.

Thank you!! I'll have to look into that....

You can also make the wedge thicker or thinner to give you the kind of elevation you like when shooting from a bench or prone, especially if your rear bag is a little bit lower than you prefer.

Cut the wedge out with a band saw or jitter saw, or a hand saw if necessary.

Sand the edges smooth. I used a small block plane too and I put a bit of taper on the lower edge. Then drill three mounting holes starting with a 1/4" Forstner bit to make a counter sunk hole. Then drill for the mounting screws. Tape the wedge into position and drill pilot holes in the stock. Screw the wedge in place. Or, if you use flat head screws, simply counter sink the plastic so that the heads are flush or a bit more.

I knocked the lower corners off and rounded them a little bit with my low angle block plane. I also made my wedge a bit longer than the lower stock edge so that it is cantilevered out about an inch on the forward edge.
    Thanks for the info... Yours looks fantastic!!

Basic Member
    I dig your color choice, rifle looks good.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
    I dig your color choice, rifle looks good.

Thank you