Thread: Model 99 that shoots left. Can I fix it?

Model 99 that shoots left. Can I fix it?

I have a model 99 in .300 Savage, 24 inch barrel, with a bead in ramp front sight. I think it is a model 99R from 1946. It looks like the front site may have been hit on the left side and the gun seems to shoot about 5 mils left. There do not appear to be any windage correction options. Any ideas on how to either move the front sight back to the left a bit or other ways to help me shoot more accurately? I've had the gun awhile and it was my uncle's but I just got interested in trying to hunt white tail deer with it. It is not drilled for a scope and I would prefer not to drill it. It is otherwise in very good condition.

Thanks-Charlie
    mine has these sights:

Basic Member
    Should be a dovetail. Use a brass drift and a hammer. Rear sight goes in the direction you want bullet impact to go. Front sight goes in the opposite direction.

Basic Member
    Since they are both dovetailed, you can drift either sight the proper direction to correct it. I keep a small plastic mallet in my range box so I can do it right at the range.
    I believe you move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the POI and the front sight in the direction opposite the change in POI you desire. E.g., if you move the rear sight to the left you will have to move the front of the barrel to the left to get the front sight to line up in the rear thus moving POI to the left; if you move the front sight to the right you will have to move the barrel to the left to get the front sight back in the rear sight thus moving POI to the left.

So a softish whack with a rubber or plastic mallet will move it? That I can do. I was afraid of breaking something.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Should be a dovetail. Use a brass drift and a hammer. Rear sight goes in the direction you want bullet impact to go. Front sight goes in the opposite direction.
    Is a brass drift similar to a punch but softer so I don't dent the steel?

Basic Member
    Yes, exactly. A brass drift (punch) won't mar the steel. Start out with a softish whack, but it may end up taking a good farmboy whack. A plastic hammer might be a good idea, if you tend to miss.

Basic Member
    Be careful whacking on a front sight unless it's base is integral to the barrel. Some of the bases that were soldered? on can be hit hard enough to pop off. Don't ask me how I know. After I knocked one off I bought a front sight pusher, otherwise make all your adjustments to the back sight. If your front sight is bent replace it, eBay.