Thread: Need help finding blind magazine parts for 7 SAUM build

Basic Member

Need help finding blind magazine parts for 7 SAUM build

I'm in the middle of putting a 7 SUAM together, and have ran into a problem. I have the barrel, trigger, and the center feed 4.4" short action. I have chosen to go with the Bell and Carlson Savage Varmint/Tactical stock. My problem is finding the parts for the magazine. I'm wanting to run a blind magazine setup. I've found the part numbers I believe, but I don't know where to get them.

Magazine Box
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/58...gnum-rsum-blue

Follower Assembly
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31...ra-magnum-rsum

Midway shows them, but they have no idea when they'll be back in stock. Can someone please help me out? Thanks so much for your time.

Basic Member
    I THINK you can utilize the factory DBM for a blind by taking the base off and installing it in your stock. I'm headed down this road myself, but have a 4.275 action that requires milling. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience. If so CTD shows it in stock for like $60.

Basic Member
    That's a good idea. I was thinking about that actually. I don't have the DBm, but I could buy one easily. That may be the route I'm forced into. I called savage today, and they were absolutely no help whatsoever.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    That's a good idea. I was thinking about that actually. I don't have the DBm, but I could buy one easily. That may be the route I'm forced into. I called savage today, and they were absolutely no help whatsoever.
    Sorry to hear that. Seems customer service is a foreign concept to many today.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Seems customer service is a foreign concept to many today.
    Yeah I was kind of disappointed, but it's all good. I've been looking at the savage dbm in 7wsm, and it seems that it should work. It will take some careful measurements and work on the stock, but it's doable. I've been looking still for a box magazine and follower assembly, and found one on Gunbroker. It doesn't have a picture of it, so I'm waiting on the seller to get back to me to see if it will work. If not, I'm going to just buy a dbm and go from there. Once more parts come together, I'll get some pics up.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    I'm in the middle of putting a 7 SUAM together, and have ran into a problem. I have the barrel, trigger, and the center feed 4.4" short action. I have chosen to go with the Bell and Carlson Savage Varmint/Tactical stock. My problem is finding the parts for the magazine. I'm wanting to run a blind magazine setup. I've found the part numbers I believe, but I don't know where to get them.

Magazine Box
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/58...gnum-rsum-blue

Follower Assembly
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31...ra-magnum-rsum

Midway shows them, but they have no idea when they'll be back in stock. Can someone please help me out? Thanks so much for your time.
    That link for the mag box is for the older staggered feed guns (as pictured), not a newer centerfeed which is what your 4.40" action is. Ditto for the follower you linked to.

Savage has never offered the SAUM's in the newer centerfeed magazines, so whether or not they will feed from a centerfeed WSM magazine I don't know. What you need to look for is a DBM for a newer centerfeed Savage for the WSM cartridges. Here's one with the Axis bottom plate:

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...11356552525.do
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Well guys, I ended up going a completely different route. I was able to find an H-S Precision Short Action Stock with the Top Bolt Release for the rifle. I could not find a magazine specifically designated for and of the SAUM's. So after a little research, I compared the SAUM to the WSM, and the measurements were very very close. So I ordered a magazine for a 300 WSM, and it works perfectly. I'll try and get some more detailed pictures up tonight for anyone else that may need this in the future.

Basic Member

You could also have used a “standard” (308 length) magazine. I’ve been using them for years in the WSM’s without a single issue.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways