Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
As much as I hate to say it Bigeclipse I think you are misinformed on 6.5 Creedmoor. There are now 5-6 ammo manufacturer's that I know of. Federal started producing both 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 Creedmoor. Of the cartridges mentioned I'd pick the 6.5. Better ballistics than both the 308 and 7-08 with 120-140gr pills. Energy down range is nearly equal to or better than the others in most cases due to retained velocity. If the OP reloads then there are a slew of highly effective projectiles to choose from. In all honesty the 6.5 Creedmoor is becoming to the US the 6.5x55 is in Europe. It's hard to beat without going to a magnum cartridge inside of 800yds.

That being said I'm a 6.5x47 guy. It inherently more consistent than the Creedmoor, but gives up a hair of velocity. The only thing the 7-08 and 308 offer over the 6.5 is barrel life. That's not to say they are dead in the water and un-effective. That's just saying Ballistics don't lie. The 6.5 can do everything the other midsize cartridges do, but easier on the shooter. Better ballistics make up for a larger degree of error in wind and distance calculation, less recoil for easier shot spotting/follow-up (if needed), and down range energy between the options given is negligible at best. Barrel life for the average guy is going to be 3k-4k rounds or more dependent on their accuracy requirements.

So, for me based on the options the choice would be easy!

6.5 Creed Factory Ammo choices:
Prime
Hornady
Federal
Copper Creek
Norma
and probably a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Brass Options:
Hornady
Lapua
Peterson
Alpha
Norma
Starline
and a couple others I can't think of

Bullets: Try naming them all! Options galore!

The Creedmoor is here to stay gentlemen whether you like it or not... There's also a ton of rifles being factory chambered for it and many Gunsmiths are reporting that they chamber more barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor than the next 3 combined.
I am not misinformed. Please go over and join the longrangehunting forum. Lots of good guys and knowledge over there. Too often we see new cartridges come out and fail. The 6.5cm is a great cartridge and it will never die out completely but it is still in that phase of being the next "new" thing which is why you see the sales push you see. I reload, so I never worry whether ammo will be available or not. If I did not reload OR I worried about rifle resale value, I would not buy a 6.5cm nor would I buy a 7mm08. I would get the 308 and call it a day. The 6.5 caliber bullet is mediocre on large game. It will certainly do the job (a 223 will take a deer just fine) but the 284 and 308 caliber bullets are better on larger game. I have experience with all 3 calibers and have friends with LOTs of experience with them as well. If banging steel out to 800 yards then yes go for the 6.5cm but if black beer or elk are in the picture, id tend to lean away from it. Yes it will do fine, but inside 500 yards...the 308 and 7mm08 are still the way to go in my opinion. If Whitetails are the largest game you will hunt then sure go for the 6.5cm. Just my two cents.