Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why choose 308?

Basic Member

Why choose 308?

I am thinking about picking up a new rifle. I have looked at the 308, 6.5 creedmoor and 7mm08 for the calibers. Purpose would primarily be for hunting. Does the 308 have any advantage over the 6.5 or 7-08 other than ammo availability and cost of ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Barrel life, and possibly energy depending on variables.
    The CM is basically the .260 Rem, slightly shorter case/shoulder. The .260 Rem is a necked-down .308, to 6.5
    The 7-08 (one of my LR favorites) is the .308 necked down to 7mm.

Simple rule...the more you neck down a case, the shorter your barrel life. No free lunches here. Forcing the same amount of burning gases and plasma through a smaller tube increases erosion of the throat.

Despite all the sexy names and marketing hype of the cartridges du jour, the .308 remains a solid choice for many. But if you feel you need the extra bit of flat-shooting provided, the 6.5's (and the 7) will give an edge.

FWIW, the 6 Creedmoor, is just another incarnation of the .243- a whitetail standard for many decades.

But, you didn't say what game, and what distances- important considerations in making a recommendation. Unlike steel and paper, energy at the target matters in a hunting application.

I have 308 and 7mm08 deer rifles. The 7mm08 has no advantage over the 308win. This is my opinion so forgive me...
    Recoil is the same.
    Ballistics are the same.

I don't have a hunting rifle in 6.5CM so I can't compare it to the others. But speculating the recoil is a bit less over the other 2 and ballistics beyond 400 yards are better.

For big game hunting the 308win is more versatile than the 6.5cm. At the cost of more recoil.

If you want to hunt deer beyond 400 yards then the 6.5cm would be the best option out of these 3 cartridges.

Basic Member
    Primary purpose is hunting WHAT and WHERE?

There is a big difference between hunting groundhogs and hunting moose, but both are hunting.

There is a big difference between hunting deer in Virginia and Nebraska. The size of the deer, the average distance they are shot at.

.308 will handle heavier bullets be more versatile if you are hunting game bigger than eastern Whitetail deer.

Given rifles of the same weight the 7mm-08 or 6.5 should have a little lighter recoil, the bullets should have a higher ballistic coefficient and better long range performance. But those are really paper advantages. With a well placed shot a deer won't know the difference between the 3. With a poor shot none of them will make up for your mistake.

Apples to apples, using the same weight bullet, the larger caliber has less recoil due to bearing surface. This is the rule not the exception. The &mm08 is a handy caliber. If you need to shoot something with higher energy the 165 in a 308 tops the three.(unless you are willing to push a 180 hard the energy begins to drop before you get there. For all around happy time, I'm with the7mm08. It gives up very little to the .270 IMHO.

Love my 308...very deadly and accurate.....I have a 7mm-08 in a Rem 7600 Laminated Pump action, Big fan of that too. Both with Leupold optics. Anyone with do the job...Its all preference.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Let's take all 3 rounds, fill them to a max load of H380 at 2500+/- fps each, put in the heaviest Hornady bullet available, sight in the rifle dead on at 250 yards and check the drop at 400 yards. .308= -21.96", 7mm= -22.28" , and 6.5mm= -28.22 " is what my ballistic program says. All things equal looks like the 180 grain .308 drops less than the 175 grain 7mm or the 160 grain 6.5mm. My 180 grain .300 Weatherby at 3100 fps drops at 550 yards what the 160 grain 6.5 Creedmore does at 400 yards but it kicks harder and eats a lot more powder. Have to compare apples and apples.

Basic Member
    After 500 yards, the 6.5CM has more energy than a 308. But the heavier bullets you can shoot in a 308 out weigh the 6.5CM. Had a 6.5CM for a shot period of time. Sold it to fund my 338LM. My 308 takes care of my needs for up to 1000 yards. The 338LM takes care of the rest.

Basic Member
    I just bought a new Savage 11/111 in a Remington 7mm magnum for my long distance, flat shooting deer rifle and a .308 is my short range deer/elk rifle with a 180 grain Federal Trophy Bonded. 140 grain 7mm Federal Trophy Bonded placed in the boiler room of any deer I can see without field glasses is good enough for me. When it comes to elk my 8mm Remington Magnum with 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip will do the job with 1 shot in the chest. 338LM is real nice but a bit heavy for this old man.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98dyna View Post
    Let's take all 3 rounds, fill them to a max load of H380 at 2500+/- fps each, put in the heaviest Hornady bullet available, sight in the rifle dead on at 250 yards and check the drop at 400 yards. .308= -21.96", 7mm= -22.28" , and 6.5mm= -28.22 " is what my ballistic program says. All things equal looks like the 180 grain .308 drops less than the 175 grain 7mm or the 160 grain 6.5mm. My 180 grain .300 Weatherby at 3100 fps drops at 550 yards what the 160 grain 6.5 Creedmore does at 400 yards but it kicks harder and eats a lot more powder. Have to compare apples and apples.
    But we aren't comparing fruit, let alone apples. (I have no idea if that statement makes any sense whatsoever). Anyhow, my point is, the 260 with a 180 grain bullet is not comparable to the 308 with 180 gr bullet, so why use that as a standard to judge their performance by? Personally, for deer, I prefer 120 NBT for the 260 and 150gr NBT for .308. I would NEVER consider 180gr with the 260, doing so kinda ruins it's game.

Team Savage
    If you plan to hunt elk or elk-sized game, get the .308. If deer is the biggest you plan to hunt, get the 6.5 CM. If you primarily hunt deer but there "might" be a chance at elk, go 7mm-08.

I've owned three .308's and sold them all. They bore me to death. I'm building a 7mm-08 at the moment, and will be getting a 6.5 CM at some point.

Basic Member
    Interesting replies. Thanks to all that have contributed. It has all been insightful.

I primarily hunt whitetail in Texas and the longest shot i would realistically take would be approximately 300 yards. I hope to take an elk hunt in the next few years. I already own a 6.5cm and a 7mm08. I am thinking about taking advantage of some of the mfr rebates going on and have seriously been considering either picking up another 6.5/7mm08, going lighter with a 243 or 22-250 for the kids, or going heavier with a 30-06 or 308. I just can’t decide which route to take. Maybe I am good with what I have but I want to scratch the itch for a new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    But we aren't comparing fruit, let alone apples. (I have no idea if that statement makes any sense whatsoever). Anyhow, my point is, the 260 with a 180 grain bullet is not comparable to the 308 with 180 gr bullet, so why use that as a standard to judge their performance by? Personally, for deer, I prefer 120 NBT for the 260 and 150gr NBT for .308. I would NEVER consider 180gr with the 260, doing so kinda ruins it's game.

Apples to apples was intended to mean you cant compare a 165 grain 308 round to a 120 - 140 grain 7mm08 or 6.5 as far as recoil. My response was to recoil. In my mind it makes sense. I have also never seen a 180 grain 260 round so how does that come into play? I do shoot 185's in a 308. I know that recoil. I know the recoil of 140 class bullets in the 7mm and 6.5mm in cases with similar powder capacities. I know some powders hit and some push. As far as killing deer it comes down to shot location and wound channel. One is on you and the other is on the bullet.

Team Savage
    If you already have the 6.5 and 7-08, then get the .308. They are super easy to load for, which may be why they bore me to death. No sense getting a .243 or 22-250 for the kids if you already have a 6.5 and can load your own. A 100 grain 6.5 bullet loaded down will do anything those lighter calibers can do and should be a cinch for the kids to shoot.

I also primarily hunt whitetails in TX and 300 is my max expected range and self-imposed limit on our little deer. To me, the 7mm-08 is the ideal TX whitetail caliber. However, I have a Tikka T3x 30-06 in the wings if I ever do go on that elk hunt.

Basic Member
    I bought a new Savage 11/111 7mm Remington magnum to scratch my itch. $300.00 for a new complete rifle package after rebate. Now comes the brass, dies, etc. to round it out. I have a buddy that has a Ruger 7mm mag and watched him make some great shots with it, deer and elk. Another use for the 7mm-08, hunting deer with a TC Encore 15" barrel pistol in a 7mm-08 or the 7-30 Waters. I have both and are excellent out to 250 yards for me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb80 View Post
    Does the 308 have any advantage over the 6.5 or 7-08 other than ammo availability and cost of ammo?
    Barrel life.

Basic Member
    Since you've thrown the 30-06 into the mix, I vote for that caliber. I shoot a 30-06AI. The area I hunt has pigs, axis deer, goats and feral cattle. My '06 will shoot 150, 165 and 200 gr accurately. I get vertical stringing but at 100yds but nothing significant. I carry two loads in the field based on what I am hunting, deer and cattle - 165 & 200 gr., goats and pigs and cattle 150 and 200 gr.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I have 308 and 7mm08 deer rifles. The 7mm08 has no advantage over the 308win. This is my opinion so forgive me...
    Recoil is the same.
    Ballistics are the same.

I don't have a hunting rifle in 6.5CM so I can't compare it to the others. But speculating the recoil is a bit less over the other 2 and ballistics beyond 400 yards are better.

For big game hunting the 308win is more versatile than the 6.5cm. At the cost of more recoil.

If you want to hunt deer beyond 400 yards then the 6.5cm would be the best option out of these 3 cartridges.
    could not disagree more. You obviously either do not have the same rifle in 308 versus 7mm08 (same weight rifle same stock etc.) or you do not shoot the same ballistically matched weights in their respective calibers to say they recoil the same. To get the same terminal ballistics and flight characteristics in the 308, you will need to shoot a 165-175grain bullet compared to the 7mm08 popular 140grain. The only way to achieve similar velocities would be a very high charge loading at or above book max and would be a "significant" amount more recoil. That being said, a 308 does not recoil too bad anyways so this becomes a moot point for anyone who is not recoil shy. In my opinion, the 7mm08 wins hands down on medium sized game (deer...maybe an elk) out to 500 yards between the 3 calibers. From 500-650 yards id probably look into the 6.5cm because it will handle wind better than the other 2. You should go join the longrangehunting forum...lots of great info over there.

To the OP...all 3 are great cartridges. As you have stated, the 308 will be the easiest to get ammo at reasonable prices. It will have a wide range of bullet weights to choose from but be careful as the twist of your barrel will dictate which bullets will likely work best beyond 200 yards. The 7mm08 will have less options for ammo BUT all gunshops will carry it, most sporting goods stores will carry it and even some of the big box stores will as well. The ammo will be more expensive compared to the 308. The 7mm08 will be harder to sell should you want to sell it. This is where the negatives end. The 7mm-08 will shoot flatter with less recoil. I personally think it is the best of the 3 for whitetails and even more so if you reload (because ammo availability does not matter). The 6.5cm is a great cartridge but I still think it is too new to see if it will hang around or if it will go the way of the dodo. If this is your first gun and you are not recoil shy, you certainly cannot go wrong with a 308 (and maybe id pick it just because it will be easy to sell should you want to get rid of it). If you are not new to hunting/shooting and you will hold onto this rifle, then id highly consider the 7mm08.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Barrel life.
    this is true but you would have to be shooting a TON to see that. I mean 2000 rounds or so.

Basic Member
    As much as I hate to say it Bigeclipse I think you are misinformed on 6.5 Creedmoor. There are now 5-6 ammo manufacturer's that I know of. Federal started producing both 6.5 Creedmoor and 6 Creedmoor. Of the cartridges mentioned I'd pick the 6.5. Better ballistics than both the 308 and 7-08 with 120-140gr pills. Energy down range is nearly equal to or better than the others in most cases due to retained velocity. If the OP reloads then there are a slew of highly effective projectiles to choose from. In all honesty the 6.5 Creedmoor is becoming to the US the 6.5x55 is in Europe. It's hard to beat without going to a magnum cartridge inside of 800yds.

That being said I'm a 6.5x47 guy. It inherently more consistent than the Creedmoor, but gives up a hair of velocity. The only thing the 7-08 and 308 offer over the 6.5 is barrel life. That's not to say they are dead in the water and un-effective. That's just saying Ballistics don't lie. The 6.5 can do everything the other midsize cartridges do, but easier on the shooter. Better ballistics make up for a larger degree of error in wind and distance calculation, less recoil for easier shot spotting/follow-up (if needed), and down range energy between the options given is negligible at best. Barrel life for the average guy is going to be 3k-4k rounds or more dependent on their accuracy requirements.

So, for me based on the options the choice would be easy!

6.5 Creed Factory Ammo choices:
    Prime
    Hornady
    Federal
    Copper Creek
    Norma
    and probably a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Brass Options:
    Hornady
    Lapua
    Peterson
    Alpha
    Norma
    Starline
    and a couple others I can't think of

Bullets: Try naming them all! Options galore!

The Creedmoor is here to stay gentlemen whether you like it or not... There's also a ton of rifles being factory chambered for it and many Gunsmiths are reporting that they chamber more barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor than the next 3 combined.

For what it's worth.... I have 3 rifles in my closet. All Savages (22-250, 260 Rem, 30-06) I use the 22-250 for Varmints, The 260 so far is just for long range steel and the larger varmints, and the 30-06 for Deer/Elk.

30-06: 168 gr. Barnes TTSX Muzzle Velocity 2694 FPS-- Delivers 1561 ft. lbs of energy out to 350 yards
    260 Rem: 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X Muzzle Velocity 2724 FPS-- Delivers 1563 ft. lbs of energy out to 350 yards

the Ballistics say the 260 Rem (6.5 Creedmoor in your case) will get the job done on Elk/Deer out to 350 Yards just like a 30-06 will, and you can do it with less powder, & recoil. I still trust the 30-06 more in the situation, but I only just finished building the 260 this year. As I have more time and opportunity to gather more results of the 260, that may change my tune.

The Scandinavian hunters have been using the 6.5x55 to hunt Moose for a very long time.

Basic Member
    ^^^^^He gets it!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb80 View Post
    Interesting replies. Thanks to all that have contributed. It has all been insightful.

I primarily hunt whitetail in Texas and the longest shot i would realistically take would be approximately 300 yards. I hope to take an elk hunt in the next few years. I already own a 6.5cm and a 7mm08. I am thinking about taking advantage of some of the mfr rebates going on and have seriously been considering either picking up another 6.5/7mm08, going lighter with a 243 or 22-250 for the kids, or going heavier with a 30-06 or 308. I just can’t decide which route to take. Maybe I am good with what I have but I want to scratch the itch for a new gun.

Well with that information. I say get a .308 too, and with the great rebates and prices right now pick up a .243 as well for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    this is true but you would have to be shooting a TON to see that. I mean 2000 rounds or so.
    thats only a couple prairie dog trips

Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    thats only a couple prairie dog trips
    if you're shooting them fast and using the light weight pills then yes 2000 is about it... I researched a lot before I made my decision to build a 260 Rem. The guy I talked to said that he got roughly 5000 rounds out of his last barrel. He was shooting the 140 Amax at 2800 fps.... And he is a long range varminter (so he still needs the precision to be there) that shoots little cottontail rabbits at 900-1000 yards.

Check him out on YouTube: 260 Rips-- he shot a Tangelo @ 1/2 mile too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEtvJvISoxo Rabbit at 1001 yards...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast