Thread: She’s a shooter - Cabela’s 12FV 223Rem!

Basic Member

She’s a shooter - Cabela’s 12FV 223Rem!

I picked up this rifle in mid-October. Was able to get the barreled action for the insane price of $219 (incl. rebate). I took it out today for the first time, and I was using cheap XM193 I had on hand just to do an initial break-in and sight in the scope. Surprised (or should I be?) to find this sub-half-moa 4 shot group at 100 yards. This ammo is only $6 a box! I assembled this rifle to use as a precision trainer, and it is arguably the highest accuracy value in my safe. Now to begin load develoment using 69gr SMKs, but this is very promising indeed. Bell and Carlson stock, Vortex HST, Leupold Mk4 20moa base, UTG Pro precision low rings, Harris S-BRM bipod.

Basic Member
    Try the same brand in the 50 gr tipped varmint. I'll bet your group will shrink down to a single ragged hole.

That ammo (p/n AE223GTV) seems to fly under the radar. When I found out how well it shot, I looked all over their website for information about it velocity but could find nothing. I ended up calling and getting a spec sheet. I keep some on hand as a reference ammo to compare to my handloads, and have targets in my file with 3 and 5 shot groups in the zero's at 100 yds with that dag gum stupid-cheap ammo.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Good shooting...Congrats....Perfect groupings...wouldnt change a thing
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Try the same brand in the 50 gr tipped varmint. I'll bet your group will shrink down to a single ragged hole.

That ammo (p/n AE223GTV) seems to fly under the radar. When I found out how well it shot, I looked all over their website for information about it velocity but could find nothing. I ended up calling and getting a spec sheet. I keep some on hand as a reference ammo to compare to my handloads, and have targets in my file with 3 and 5 shot groups in the zero's at 100 yds with that dag gum stupid-cheap ammo.
    Whowouldathunk? So you're saying I shouldn't wastefully just throw this stuff down range a few boxes at a time in my ARs?

I would stock up on that $6/box like crazy.

Basic Member
    Sterling, nice group and rifle setup!
    Are you single loading or transfer the blind mag from the old chassis?
    i recently purchased 2 of these for 219$ as well and looking for options.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lastedtiger View Post
    Sterling, nice group and rifle setup!
    Are you single loading or transfer the blind mag from the old chassis?
    i recently purchased 2 of these for 219$ as well and looking for options.
    I reinstalled the blind mag into the new stock. However, I typically single feed when just plinking or leisurely shooting at my my own pace. I did also procure a 6.5 Creedmoor but will have that set up with a DBM for competition use.

Interestingly, this round nose fmj 55gr round doesnt feed well at all when I just drop it onto the top of the internal magazine and just attempt to move the bolt. The round gets hung up when I push the bolt forward, so I have to partially insert each round into the chamber when loading singly. This had me concerned at first, so I loaded the internal magazine but the rifle cycles fine from the internal mag. I have a Remmy 308 which handles this single round loading maneuver just fine. Odd. Ill have to examine the 12FV’s chamber mouth’s shape to see whats going on there. Maybe just the nature of the beast.

Basic Member
    Sweet. How do you like the BC stock? Did you have an issue with the front screw on your rail hitting the barrel nut threads? Or did they supply a shorter screw for the front?

Basic Member
    This was intended to be an inexpensive build, so the price/performance was right with the Bell&Carlson stock. I figure anything wouldve been better than the tupperware stock, but I knew what I was getting going into this and figured the barreled action would be as good as on Savage's other pricier offerings. However, I was very surprised at how comfortable and how well the Bell&Carlson stock fits me. Traditionally, everyone seems to knock Bell&Carslons, but don't think its any worse than the HS Precision I have on another rifle. Most importantly, it does have a full aluminum bedding block much like the HS Precision. I didn't bother bedding the action, and with the results it produces, I won't bother. Bell&Carlson does have a newer model with an adjustable cheek rest that is ready for a DBM bottom metal for Savage which I will most likely get for the 6.5 Creedmoor:

http://www.snipercentral.com/bell-ca...etition-stock/

As far as the front rail screw, hmm, I didnt think to check for an interference fit. Has this been a problem with Leupold provided screws or is a general issue with Savage?

Is there no reason for concern, shooting 5.56 ammo through a Savage .223 barrel? I've always heard 223 through a 5.56 is okay but not the other way around. Of course this is usually referring to AR15s. Not an issue in bolt guns?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    This was intended to be an inexpensive build, so the price/performance was right with the Bell&Carlson stock. I figure anything wouldve been better than the tupperware stock, but I knew what I was getting going into this but knew the barreled action would be as good as on Savage's other pricier offerings. However, I was very surprised at how comfortable and how well the Bell&Carlson stock fits me. Traditionally, everyone seems to knock Bell&Carslons, but don't think its any worse than the HS Precision I have on another rifle. Most importantly, it does have a full aluminum bedding block much like the HS Precision. I didn't bother bedding the action, and with the results it produces, I won't bother. Bell&Carlson does have a newer model with an adjustable cheek rest that is ready for a DBM bottom metal for Savage which I will most likely get for the 6.5 Creedmoor:

http://www.snipercentral.com/bell-ca...etition-stock/

As far as the front rail screw, hmm, I didnt think to check for an interference fit. Has this been a problem with Leupold provided screws or is a general issue with Savage?
    general issue with savage. The warne mounts I have the screw are recessed a good deal and the .250 screws were too long for the front hole. With a rail depending on how high may not be an issue. Obviously yours worked fine. Originaly I didn't want a rail to interfere with blind mag loading. It looks like the the rail may be the way to go. With the 2 piece mounts getting the scope eye relief right is going to be an issue. Where did the you get the stock?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    general issue with savage. The warne mounts I have the screw are recessed a good deal and the .250 screws were too long for the front hole. With a rail depending on how high may not be an issue. Obviously yours worked fine. Originaly I didn't want a rail to interfere with blind mag loading. It looks like the the rail may be the way to go. With the 2 piece mounts getting the scope eye relief right is going to be an issue. Where did the you get the stock?
    I purchased it directly from Bell & Carlson:

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index....tegory_ID=1086

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy888 View Post
    Is there no reason for concern, shooting 5.56 ammo through a Savage .223 barrel? I've always heard 223 through a 5.56 is okay but not the other way around. Of course this is usually referring to AR15s. Not an issue in bolt guns?
    You raise a good question.

This is what NRA's American Rifleman mag says on the topic: "Erring on the side of safety, you can always shoot .223 Rem. ammo in a 5.56 NATO chambered rifle, but should only shoot 5.56 NATO ammo in modern, bolt-action .223 Rem. rifles—never in .223 semi-autos."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...223-remington/

Basic Member
    this ---> "Try the same brand in the 50 gr tipped varmint. I'll bet your group will shrink down to a single ragged hole."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowTrigger View Post
    this ---> "Try the same brand in the 50 gr tipped varmint. I'll bet your group will shrink down to a single ragged hole."
    Alright, now you guys have me intrigued. Will have to find some of that 50gr tipped varmint ammo or at least try handloads with lighter pills.

With that said, Im only using a front bipod and rear bag so any slight variation in my POI may be all just limited by the human factor.

FWIW, my 12FV is a total laser with the 52gr Berger flat base bullets. It regularly puts them in the 3's and 4's @ 100. It still shoots well with the 69-77gr bullets, right around .5-.6 @100.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    You raise a good question.

This is what NRA's American Rifleman mag says on the topic: "Erring on the side of safety, you can always shoot .223 Rem. ammo in a 5.56 NATO chambered rifle, but should only shoot 5.56 NATO ammo in modern, bolt-action .223 Rem. rifles—never in .223 semi-autos."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...223-remington/
    Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard it explained quite like that before. It is curious why some manufacturers mark their .223 bolt guns .223/5.56 and others do not.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy888 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard it explained quite like that before. It is curious why some manufacturers mark their .223 bolt guns .223/5.56 and others do not.
    Marketing department.

My only 223 rem rifle is a Rem700 and I've fed it 5.56x45 XM885 green tip.
    Only problem was the size of the groups. 2+moa

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    My only 223 rem rifle is a Rem700 and I've fed it 5.56x45 XM885 green tip.
    Only problem was the size of the groups. 2+moa
    Ouch. Have you tried other commercial ammo?