Thread: 93r17-TR accuracy

Stainless

93r17-TR accuracy

I just bought a new 93r17-tr this week and I was able to get out yesterday and shoot it. This is my first Savage rimfire and as of now, I'm less than impressed with the accuracy of it. At 50 yards it was shooting about 1 1/2" groups and double that at 100. After firing about 60 rounds the sizes were cut in half. Are the groups going to get better the more I shoot it and should I stop worrying about it? I was kind of hoping this thing would be a little more accurate like my savage centerfires. Is there anything I can do to the rifle to improve its accuracy? Any ammo recommendations? .17
    Gr v-max were terrible. Remington .17 gr accu-tip and hornady .20 gr xtp's shot the best with the xtp being slightly better. Any suggestions or do I just need patience and break it in more? Thanks for your help

rbertalotto

Re: 93r17-TR accuracy

Although it's a RimFire, it is not a 22RF....Those are real bullets, with real jackets moving at real velocities...You need to break that bore in like you would any centerfire rifle. Shhot five, clean bore with a good rod....Wet the bore with Shooters Choice or some other aggressive bore cleaner, ten runs back and forth with a brass brush, two or three patches, shoot five more rounds...repeat until 50 rounds....Then do it every 10-15 rounds.

I have two 17HMR rifles, Same Savage you have and a CZ 453.......Both guns now shoot well under a 1/2 at 50 yds.........If I watch the wind they will do this at 100 yds. Both of these rifles need to be cleaned every 20-25 rounds once the barrel is seasoned.

Both guns are amazingly sensitive to ammo choice...Some brands won't group under 2''!........The "TNT" stuff is the best in both of my rifles.

Rifleman51

Re: 93r17-TR accuracy

I had my Savage BRJ acurized at Savagegunsmithing and it reduced my groups by .3" at 50 yds.
    It was the best money I have spent on the rifle.
    It takes a lot to get down to a rifle shooting in the low .1"'s and mine now does.
    The rifle shoots like it has eyes and the trigger breaks like glass, no creep at all, you don't even know it's an accutrigger except for feeling the little blade.

I have had more fun with the rifle, when you outshoot the higher priced rifles, it really makes the guys mad to see a Savage whip up on them.
    It still looks stone stock on the outside. The Savage RF rifles are the best deal going.
    I just bought a target model that's almost 100 years old and shot it for the first time a couple days ago. 22 degrees out, 15 MPH side wind and it still shot in the .3"'s. That was with a Wallensek 4 X scope made in the 1930's. They even made them accurate back then. Can't wait to shoot it in decent weather, at about 70 degrees, I'm hopeing for .2"'s.
    My Best, John K