Thread: Savage Action Screws?

Josh Smith

Savage Action Screws?

Hello,

I need the thread pitch and diameter of the action screws for a project I'm doing on the Mk II .22LR.

I'm reading 12-28 and 12-32. Which one is correct?

Thanks,

Josh

Basic Member

Re: Savage Action Screws?

12-32, don't bother looking for any at any specialty fastener place because they don't exist. The only source is Savage. If you need something longer, I would retap the stand offs to use 1/4-28.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

jwpark

Wonder why Savage uses such an rare thread size and pitch

sniper13

I had a buddy of mine who works at a machine shop turn down a 1/4-20 to a 12/32 works great. The other problem i had was the stock action screws are way to short for an aftermarket stock...

Basic Member

Savage has two options for the screws, standard and those for wood stocks. The ones for the wood stocks are a little bit longer, but they are a much nicer screw. The head is larger, and they just seem to be better made that the standard ones. Price isnt bad, and shipping is $6.00, so order a few mags while you are there and you come out ahead. The mags are a pretty decent price through them.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwpark
    Wonder why Savage uses such an rare thread size and pitch
    I have spent a while looking for some longer screws here too, talk about a goose chase.:sheesh:
    I have a couple feelers out to some fastener makers. this is a standard thread size/ pitch, mscdirect.com has taps &dies for this, but it is a NEF national extra fine pitch, similar to the 1/2-28 used on muzzle accessories for 223 class rifles& the 5/8-24 used for 30 cal rifles.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

well (*!@#$%^&U*

I called up Savage to order longer screws to attach the wooden stock, the part# 106875 was listed as "take down screw, Boyd's stock" sounded like it should be the one, but nope, 3/4" usable length under the head to the end of the threads, the exact same as the synthetic stock. $20 wasted. for 2 screws, that are still too friggen short. > >

I'm ready to find a machine shop with a screw machine& have them run off about 1000 of these ~ 1-1/4 long, trim to fit.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Avery

I have had a circus show trying to get the right screws for mt Boyd's stack.
    "106875 is the longest and it will work."
    Does not work.
    Today I got a 704347. It is long enough and I know it will work. It is even too long for the front screw that goes thru the bottom metal. I can fix that, I cannot fix too short. Mine were sent free because the ones that I first received were too short. I measure them at about 1 3/16" from the bottom of the head to the end of the threads.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avery
    I have had a circus show trying to get the right screws for mt Boyd's stack.
    "106875 is the longest and it will work."
    Does not work.
    Today I got a 704347. It is long enough and I know it will work. It is even too long for the front screw that goes thru the bottom metal. I can fix that, I cannot fix too short. Mine were sent free because the ones that I first received were too short. I measure them at about 1 3/16" from the bottom of the head to the end of the threads.
    I feel your pain. if it wasn't for the fact that I need to have this rifle ready to go tonight, I would call Savage back & raise hell, other wise at this point, I will look at drilling& tapping the stand-offs for 1/4-28.

If I had some money to invest I would find a machine shop,& have them run off 1-2K of these stupid bolts& sell them to all the poor bastards that want to swap stocks.

Basic Member

I guess I got lucky I've had to order screws and bottom metal twice from Savage.
    Got the right pieces both times. They have what they call a kit. Don't remember exactly but around $30.00.
    Came with bottom metal, trigger guard, screws and new standoff. Never did use the standoff.

Basic Member

I tried to do what I could on Friday to get this rifle where I could give it to my boy& take him to the shoot on Sat, I ran all over to several machine shops to see if someone could turn down& re-thread some longer bolts, struck out, tried to find some 1/4-28 bolts at least 1" long, the longest allen head at the hardware store was 3/4". So I picked up some 5/16" bolts, turned off the existing threads& ran the die onto it to cut some 1/4-28 threads, the hardware store only sold standard plug taps, so I could not cut much for threads, I tried to grind a bit from the bottom of the tap to make it more of a bottoming tap, then the tap broke off in the hole. FRICK!! >
    So, I looked at removing the stand offs I was ablt to get the rear stand off but was unsuccessful at removing all of the tap. I was considering brazing a nut to the bottom of the stand off, but didn't want to braze with it on the action, the rear & middle stand offs were in with a decent amount of torque, So I applied a similar amount to the front one, but it came out weird, turns out that on the front stand off, after they torque it in, they cross drill& install a barrel pin through about 1/3rd of the threads, so, when it came out, it buggered up the threads on the action. > > > :'( :'( :'(
    at this point I will have to send the rifle back to Savage, When I do, I will probably send it directly to the president of Savage arms, with a letter. If they choose to engineer a rifle with such a bastard sized stock to action bolt, then they had better have a kick ass parts department, that knows what size bolt you need, with additional sizes listed as options, or find a standard thread. This rifle was to be for the first of my 4 kids, I would have been better off, spending the additional money & buying a Ruger. which btw I can actually find parts for. I am sorry to have wasted my time& money on this MKII.