Thread: Mounting Grand Slam on Model 12

Mounting Grand Slam on Model 12

I have a model 12 BB with Leupold mounts. I mounted a Weaver Grand Slam on it and I can't get the scope far enough back. The scope is only 11 inches long. I get a big black ring at higher power. This really reduces the field of view. My eye is just too far away from the scope. I can't figure any other way to get the scope back far enough except to put a pic rail on the gun. But I fear if I do that the rail may run into the front of the scope when I take the scope back far enough. I'm really stumped here. I welcome any suggestions and advice.

What I would like to know is if the experts here think a pic rail will work out.

Have you tried forward cant rings turned around backwards?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Something similar to this?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

And extended base or ring (as shown above) are going to be your only option if you don't want to go with a rail.

The problem with many rails (those from EGW, TPS and others) is that for some stupid reason they extend the rail out over the recoil lug and barrel nut. I've yet to ever run into a situation where I needed to put a ring that far forward on a rail. The problem is (as you've noted) that if you have a short scope with one of these rails the objective bell will often contact the rail before you can move it far enough back for proper eye relief.

The solution: mark where the rail meets the end of the action and cut the extension off with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel.

I've done this to several EGW and TPS rails because I kept having that very problem whenever I went to mount up a scope for review. Clean up the cut end with a fine file and hit it with a black Sharpie and no one will ever know it didn't come that way from the manufacturer.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Well, one of the rings looks like that. Maybe if I switch the rings and turn the one around, that might work. Are the mounting holes in the receiver the same distance apart? If so, I could switch the front to the back and put the back one in the front and flip it around. So, are the two forward holes the same distance apart as the two rear holes?

Mr F is Mr. Wizard.....Good call.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chascass View Post
    Well, one of the rings looks like that. Maybe if I switch the rings and turn the one around, that might work. Are the mounting holes in the receiver the same distance apart? If so, I could switch the front to the back and put the back one in the front and flip it around. So, are the two forward holes the same distance apart as the two rear holes?
    The holes are the same spacing
    You should be able to do what you are stating is the receiver is the newer roundback
    If the receiver is a flatback you will have to add shim to the back mount
    Jack