Thread: AZ coues whitetail

Basic Member

AZ coues whitetail

Heading out for my first AZ coues whitetail hunt in the Superstition mountains. Got my lion tag and bear tag if we glass any up.

No real rain since August. Still warm. Gonna go glass them up. Rut isnt for a few more weeks. Have already been several hunts for mulie and couse since October.

Taking two Savages for me and my buddy with tags. 7mm rem set up for longer ranges if necessary and a .257 Roberts.

Pretty excited.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Good luck! Sent you a PM.

Basic Member
    How did your hunt go?

Basic Member
    Hunt was fun, but not the ending I wanted... Was hot, dry, and full moon. That's my excuse LOL. Oh, and I am a total rookie, so massive learning experience.

Here are some of the views I enjoyed.

good luck....have fun and make us proud...
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Beautiful country!!!! Worth going to just for the scenery.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    Heading out for my first AZ coues whitetail hunt in the Superstition mountains. Got my lion tag and bear tag if we glass any up.

No real rain since August. Still warm. Gonna go glass them up. Rut isnt for a few more weeks. Have already been several hunts for mulie and couse since October.

Taking two Savages for me and my buddy with tags. 7mm rem set up for longer ranges if necessary and a .257 Roberts.

Pretty excited.

You said you were going to (glass them up).
    Maybe you could explain how you go about that, and what you personally use to do that.

Basic Member
    Get up high or low, just where you can see lots of country.

Dawn and dusk, glass a lot to try to catch them moving. At dawn, watch till they bed and then stalk in to make a play. At dusk, do whatever you can to make the play.

In the afternoon, look in every shadow for an ear twitch, a black nose, a shiny antler, anything not a rock or plant.

I have 20x56 Vortex Kaibab and 20-60x85 Vortex Razor Spotter, and 12x56 Razor binos. Them on a tripod, me sitting on a pad or standing.

Here is a mulie spike I glasses up, my binos on the tripod, and some more country.

Basic Member
    There are does in this pic. They call the coues bucks the "grey ghost"...

Basic Member
    OK, just curious as to what your setup was.
    You being a Coues deer hunter I would assume you've seen and read the articles on the 24 hour campfire.
    If not id suggest you do, and also others who might be interested in this style of hunting.
    Go the 24 hour campfire site, then click onto the Home Page.
    Then scroll down the list of articles till you see the one about (big eyes) which is actually a pretty old article, but does offer good information on glassing.
    There is also a newer rather long article by the same author about a Coues deer hunt he was on.
    I read the big eye article at least 5 or 6 years ago and possibly longer. After reading it I bought a set of the 15x58 Minox from Cameraland on a close out due to it being replaced with a new 15x56 model.
    I have a few friends who have and use the 15x56 Swaros, and also a couple using the 15X56 Leicas with built in rangefinder.
    We conducted our own side by side test based on the glassing quality aspect only, with all set up on tripods at the same time looking at the same things at distances out to well beyond 1000 yds.
    There actually was no clear cut winner, except to the eye of the guy owning the Swaros. lol
    In PA, glassing mountain to mountain for game at long distances has been going on for a very long time.
    After WW2, with the availability of the very large military optics used during the war, which were primarily Jap and German, many hunters were using them and some still are. 10X80, 15X80, 20X120, and even larger were/are very commonly used.
    For about 50 years now however the most popular glasses used among long range hunters there are twin spotting scopes mounted into machined adjustable brackets. High end scopes like Kowa and Swarovski are among the most popular.

Basic Member
    I considered the Kowa or even two Razor 65 mm scopes mounted as Big Eyes. I may still do two spotters later. But, those are not backpack friendly...

The serious coues hunters have dual Swaro or Razor spotters.

I am just getting into coues. Hard hunt...

Thanks for the pixs, looks awesome and warm there....Dont forget to calm your breathing when shooting....squeeze the trigger....Good luck...Make us proud
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    As for differences, you wont be finding much between 2 quality scopes in a bracket.
    What can make a difference however are eyepieces. Spotting scopes are designed and intended to be just that, individual scopes.
    Today just about all manufacturers have chosen to use zoom eyepieces as opposed to single power.
    Ive personally yet to see a zoom eyepiece that delivers the same viewing qualities as a good single power lens.
    The only one to my knowledge, that still offers single power as well as zoom eyepieces is Kowa.
    Another potential problem can be alignment issues with zoom lenses. If one is set at say 20x, but the other is actually slightly more or less power when set at the same power level, user problems can occur. There can even be slight differences in fixed power lenses.
    Many people are using good quality glasses that are at least slightly out of alignment and they don't even realize it.
    The only way to have it corrected is a trip back to the manufacturer or a certified repair center.
    On the other hand twin spotters can be aligned on location in minits with an allen wrench.
    Actually some of the older scopes are still very much in demand for twin scope applications, and not all are unfriendly in a backpack.