Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painted my 12 LRP stock

Basic Member

Painted my 12 LRP stock

Painted the stock on my LRP....I'm happy with it.

Basic Member
    Heckuva job! You do good work. Very nice.

Looks good! What method and product(s) did you use?

Nice ...paint!
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

I like it
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    Outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    Oh, that's nice. How much time is invested in that job?

Basic Member
    Very well done..

Looks like a rattle can/sponge job. Well done.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the kind words guys....used my airbrush to spray the gray and sponge for the white.....took only a few hours to do.

Basic Member
    Nice job. I like the colors you used. An unrelated question though since I see you have that scope back as far as it will go: Did it wind up in a comfortable position for you or is the LOP of that stock still a little long for comfort? The reason I ask is because I see so many scopes mounted the same way, and I've seen so many conversations about shortening stocks, sometimes I wonder why manufacturers just keep making them longer?

That came out looking nice! Well done!

I tried the sponge over airbrush look when I was trying to duplicate Multicam. Seeing yours, I think I went to heavy with the sponges.

Looking good, well done Sir. Shoot and shoot more often.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

WOW That is Very Very nice. I think you did a Great job.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcb38 View Post
    Nice job. I like the colors you used. An unrelated question though since I see you have that scope back as far as it will go: Did it wind up in a comfortable position for you or is the LOP of that stock still a little long for comfort? The reason I ask is because I see so many scopes mounted the same way, and I've seen so many conversations about shortening stocks, sometimes I wonder why manufacturers just keep making them longer?

Sorry...I missed your question....the length of pull is fine for me...scope is set up that way due to eye relief....my problem with the stock is the cheek rest is too low...I have yet to find a solution that I like but I'm working on it.

THAT sir is a great-looking stock - it really pops!

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Sorry...I missed this fantastic C4 Pre Workout guide and your question....the length of pull is fine for me...scope is set up that way due to eye relief....my problem with the stock is the cheek rest is too low...I have yet to find a solution that I like but I'm working on it.
    That an amazing looking paint job, Butch. It looks professional. Did you come up with that pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Sorry...I missed your question....the length of pull is fine for me...scope is set up that way due to eye relief....my problem with the stock is the cheek rest is too low...I have yet to find a solution that I like but I'm working on it.
    Excellent paint job... looks great!

For your cheek weld, try one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it's still too low, take pipe insulation, cut it to length, then slit it lengthwise and build up underneath. Great (cheap) way to take care of the issue. The insulation will eventually compress, so you may need to insert an additional piece, but once settled, it works great.

They say "Don't try this at home"... so I'm headed over to a friend's house.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandison View Post
    That an amazing looking paint job, Butch. It looks professional. Did you come up with that pattern?
    Yes... the pattern was all mine....again thanks for all the kind words..... I'm thinking about trying one of the Beat Tooth products for the cheek piece...anyone ever use one?

I tried several of the different "stock packs" and temporary cheek risers and none of the ones I tried were consistent and they shifted and moved around between shots. I really struggled wasted a lot of moneyand did the dance trying not to drill the stock. When nothing worked as I wanted I finally bought a couple of 12"x12"sheets of kydex online, some knobs and bolts at the hardware store and made a "Karsten" style adjustable cheekrest very similar to what comes on the long range hunter models. It was well under $20 for everything I needed to do a couple of them. There are tons of how to videos and articles online and kydex is really easy to work with. Also it can be painted to match your current paint scheme and it will look factory. Here's one I did on a lefty and I have been very happy with it. Of course Karsten also sells a kit ready to install. A very easy and worthwhile project. As far as the Beartooth products I dont have one of their risers but do have one of their slip on recoil pads that I have used for the last 14 years and I like it a lot. A very good product that has stood the test of time. (unlike my limbsavers that have melted)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheekrest.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	4343

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I tried several of the different "stock packs" and temporary cheek risers and none of the ones I tried were consistent and they shifted and moved around between shots. I really struggled wasted a lot of moneyand did the dance trying not to drill the stock. When nothing worked as I wanted I finally bought a couple of 12"x12"sheets of kydex online, some knobs and bolts at the hardware store and made a "Karsten" style adjustable cheekrest very similar to what comes on the long range hunter models. It was well under $20 for everything I needed to do a couple of them. There are tons of how to videos and articles online and kydex is really easy to work with. Also it can be painted to match your current paint scheme and it will look factory. Here's one I did on a lefty and I have been very happy with it. Of course Karsten also sells a kit ready to install. A very easy and worthwhile project. As far as the Beartooth products I dont have one of their risers but do have one of their slip on recoil pads that I have used for the last 14 years and I like it a lot. A very good product that has stood the test of time. (unlike my limbsavers that have melted)

I'm afraid to drill the HS stock...any idea what's inside of it? Is it hollow?

I have the triad tactical stock pack on my
    h-s. It is a great fit. It has never moved at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post

I'm afraid to drill the HS stock...any idea what's inside of it? Is it hollow?

According to an article I googled it is indeed hollow in the buttstock area and easy enough to drill for the installation of an adjustable cheek piece.
    Just to be extra sure I'd probably give HS Precision a call and discuss your plans with them. Manufacturers are usually very helpful to their customers on things like this and may even offer up some additional how to or tips on the best way to do it. I think it would be very functional for you and would look good too when painted to match.
    Good luck BHJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast