Thread: Axis SA stock...

Axis SA stock...

Hey All,
    Been lurking for a while and decided to register. Just took advantage of the $100 rebate on a Savage Axis .308 combo. This will mainly be used for plinking and hunting in the woods. Will be setup shooting light handloads for the wife and kids instead of me. Gonna shorten/recrown the barrel and would like to reduce the LOP for them as well. Haven’t had any luck finding a takeoff compact/youth stock. Can the polymer stock that came on it be cut down any, or do you all have any recommendations on best way to proceed?

Thanks,
    R

My best suggestion is to look at a Boyds aftermarket stock... The "AT One" may be exactly what you need or are looking for. As far as the stock that comes with it.... The butt of the stock is completely hollow, and if you try to cut off some of it, you will have to do some back yard engineering to get the butt pad to go back on and stay. That's about as far as I would suggest upgrading the Axis... other then pillar bedding the Boyds stock if you go that way.

The Axis is the least "build" friendly of the line in my opinion, It's way more trouble than it's worth and by the time you get it "right" you may be close in $$$ spent as you would if you went and bought one their LRP rifles... Additionally, if you go to sell the Axis, you'll never get out of it what you sunk into it.

I learned this the hard way...

It’s going to be a utilitarian woods rifle, so I’m not going to spend much on this rifle. Just want to make it more friendly for the kids to shoot.

Basic Member
    I would be patient and watch ebay, a compact stock will show up. I wanted the axis, I like the action on it. I just ordered a Boyds stock for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryninger View Post
    It’s going to be a utilitarian woods rifle, so I’m not going to spend much on this rifle. Just want to make it more friendly for the kids to shoot.
    Understood... just wanted you to have full disclosure about the Axis... I wish I would have found this site before I bought my Axis... Maybe someone would have persuaded me to start with a different model before I got too far down the rabbit hole.

Cheers,

Why not just buy a youth 243? less recoil, the stock you need, and shorter barrel.

I considered a .243, until I found youth load data for a .308 that has less recoil than factory loaded .243. I already load .308 and other .30 calibers, so the only thing I would have to add to my current lineup of loads is a different powder. Regardless of what rifle was purchased the barrel was getting cut to 16.5". That and I was feeling lazy and didn't want to get a set of rings, pick out a scope, mount, and bore sight it. Worst case scenario, I buy a compact stock from savage for $80, which is less than I'd have in a scope... Granted, it's not a high quality scope, but if it holds zero it'll work well enough.

That’s what I was saving my pennies for initially, but being into a nice rifle that can be beat up for under $300 when all said and done was too hard to pass up. When they get bigger, if they are still into shooting bolt actions, then I’ll probably build a rifle with them from scratch off a 10/110 action.

They did have those Axis down to 300. These DOAs are 300 after rebate. decisions decisions
    http://www.gunstores.net/items/GunSe...ce=0&instock=0

Basic Member
    HE ALREADY OWNS THE AXIS. HE IS LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS ON THE STOCK. Seriously guys WTF. My axis is the heavy barrel with the weaver scope. I didn't go into the store for this one, And I'm glad it came home with me! Ounce you are comfortable with buying the 80$ stock, you are free to take a knife to your current stock. Maybe a piece of plywood epoxied into place to screw the butt pad to? Good luck.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    Once you are comfortable with buying the 80$ stock, you are free to take a knife to your current stock. Maybe a piece of plywood epoxied into place to screw the butt pad to? Good luck.
    Agreed, the beauty of the Axis is that I can build the gun I think I want, and if I dont like it, I can change it and still spend less money than the gun I was originally going to purchase.

I hear the plastic used in the Axis stock is notoriously difficult to bond to. Mine is up in the rafters, but i'm guessing its hollow. Maybe cut the stock to length, then rough up the inside. Cut a plywood plug with two dowels reaching into the stock. Fill the stock with a can of foam and push the plywood in till slightly below flush. Once its dry attach a grind- to- fit recoil pad.
    Or, let the plywood flush and use a slip over recoil pad?

I know you didn't want the effort, but replace the scope bases. I just got a 6.5 Creedmoor Axis for a project gun and the bases are the wrong shape. The little wedge piece on the scope ring hits the receiver before it tightens on the base. If my memory is right it should take a Weaver 46 on the rear and a 402 (extended) on the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    HE ALREADY OWNS THE AXIS. HE IS LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS ON THE STOCK. Seriously guys WTF. .
    My bad, normally my reading comprehension is better. I will end my life tonight. OP its a plastic stock - put it in a miter box with a fine cut blade and chop it off to your liking. If you lose the butt pad mounting lugs just epoxy some new ones in. No need to spend any more money on a stock when this one is junk to you.

A gentleman I’m stationed with builds RC boats and gave me a game plan. I’m going to measure my wife’s LOP and cut this stock accordingly using my 12” miter saw with trim blade. Going to glue 3 strips of 1/4” Balsa wood together to make a 3/4” x 3” x 7” block, and will shape it down to fit in like a plug and provide sidewall rigidity. Will rough up the inside of the stock with coarse sandpaper and epoxy the wood in place. Just in case the epoxy doesn’t want to hold I’m going to use some small 3/4” screws countersunk in the top/bottom to hold in place.... If I can salvage and reshape the stock pad then I’ll trim the plastic off the sides leaving it attached the original end plate and screw it onto the plug. If I don’t trash it, only out $14 for wood & overpriced epoxy from hobby shop.

Basic Member
    Balsa would be worthless for that chore....too soft.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

As it turns out, it is much easier than expected to shorten the axis stock... The recoil pad pops out real easy after removing sling stud. Used my 12" miter saw to cut approximately 1" off the stock. Cut extra material off of the recoil pad insert as well. Used my harbor freight bench top belt sander to shape the recoil pad so it'll slide into the stock flush again. Then used the belt sander to rough shape the pad to the stock. Applied epoxy to the recoil pad and reinserted it. After it cured, I took it back to my belt sander and did a final shaping. It turned out pretty well, and is now ready to paint... Final LOP is 12.5" and only out time and epoxy.

Nice! Do you have any photos?

Stock:

Stock Cut:

Butt Pad Cut:

Rough fit:

Ready for final cleanup and paint:

The rear sling swivel was installed in original location. If I was planning on keeping it black then much more care would haven been taken with the belt sander and final shaping would have been done before expoy and off the stock. Overall I'm pleased with this effort for its intended purposes...

Basic Member
    Looks great. What color will you paint it?

Thanks... picked up some rustoleum “camo” paint from HD. I’m going to paint it light brown, and give it to them ready for texture. Picked up green and dark brown shades along with some cheese cloth. Will let the kids go find some leaves, twigs, etc. and give them guidance and creative freedom for final finish.

Barrel shortened to 16.5” and base coat done. Scope caps need painted, but ready for the family to finish otherwise!

Basic Member
    I want to see pics when they are done with it. Should be a fun lil' boomer!