Thread: Parts to Rifle? (a little long)

Hapeman

Parts to Rifle? (a little long)

A young man moved from our town to Colorado. He would like to hunt Elk. I have some Savage parts and rifle parts. The young man's father another friend and myself would to put a rifle together for him. The parts I have are inherited from an uncle except for an accu stock. The friend has built several high end modern Savage squirrel rifles. I have very little experience with Savage rifles. The parts I have are action and bolt with magazine box,spring ,follower,bottom metal action screws,trigger and trigger guard. Serial number 53176 on receiver and bolt. I have a Savage 30-06 barrel and barrel nut,wrench, and recoil lug. I thought the receiver was for an30-06 however the bolt face is to large for an 30-06 case. The bolt face fits my 375 H&H and my 416 rem. I would like to make a 30-06. The bolt face has a extractor(?) ring? I have one piece leupold base and rings and a Redfield scope. I have a youth black hardwood stock, short length of pull that I don't think I can use and I have an accu stock that has a cut out in the bottom for a detachable magazine.I have swivels studs recoil pads and others. The idea is to use up parts and end up with a serviceable hunting rifle. I am confused about the receiver and the bolt face. The firing pin works and the empty cases extract and eject. I have go- no go gauge for 30-06. What can I use to make what?

Sounds like it might be an old model 110. Has a bolt face similar to a Remington 700 with a ‘nose’ that sits recessed in the barrel. If that is indeed what you have you might be farther ahead to find another donor action to start with. Probably not what you want to hear. Otherwise I think you have to change just about everything on the bolt, including the bolt body.

Hapeman
    Thanks for the response. The action is no later than mid 80's. Are you saying the whole bolt needs to be replaced? Or the bolt face? Or is the whole thing to old to mess with? Thanks

What bolt head does this have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapeman View Post
    A young man moved from our town to Colorado. He would like to hunt Elk. I have some Savage parts and rifle parts. The young man's father another friend and myself would to put a rifle together for him. The parts I have are inherited from an uncle except for an accu stock. The friend has built several high end modern Savage squirrel rifles. I have very little experience with Savage rifles. The parts I have are action and bolt with magazine box,spring ,follower,bottom metal action screws,trigger and trigger guard. Serial number 53176 on receiver and bolt. I have a Savage 30-06 barrel and barrel nut,wrench, and recoil lug. I thought the receiver was for an30-06 however the bolt face is to large for an 30-06 case. The bolt face fits my 375 H&H and my 416 rem. I would like to make a 30-06. The bolt face has a extractor(?) ring? I have one piece leupold base and rings and a Redfield scope. I have a youth black hardwood stock, short length of pull that I don't think I can use and I have an accu stock that has a cut out in the bottom for a detachable magazine.I have swivels studs recoil pads and others. The idea is to use up parts and end up with a serviceable hunting rifle. I am confused about the receiver and the bolt face. The firing pin works and the empty cases extract and eject. I have go- no go gauge for 30-06. What can I use to make what?
    What you have is an early (1960-1965) magnum action. These are totally different than the 1966+ actions and finding parts for them is difficult these days.

As RustyShackle noted, you would need to replace the whole bolt assembly to change to a different caliber and use modern pre-fit barrels. Additionally, you would need to change out the trigger group to use it in a more modern L/A stock. The triggers on those early 110's were shorter, and if you drop the barreled action into a 1966 or newer stock only about 1/2" to 5/8" of trigger will protrude through and into the trigger guard area.

It would be much easier (and likely cheaper) to just go out and buy a new Axis or Trophy Hunter for the young man to use, especially with all the rebates and deals that are currently available. Doesn't help clear out some of those spare parts, but it's the better option.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain