Thread: How to make other hunters leave you alone

Basic Member

How to make other hunters leave you alone

Years ago, the Pennsylvania Game Comission had an anti slob hunter/ poaching program called "SPORT". Stood for Sportsmen Policing Our Ranks Together. You could order blaze orange Keystone patches with the logo. I got 2 and sewed them on my hunting jackets. It seems that a lot of hunters must think I'm a warden! They seem to not want to hang around when they see the patch. Is ok though. I don't take it personal...

Sounds perfect for hunting Amish country. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Them boys is HARD CORE! They used to drive this one area. Even the birds stopped chirping.

The Amish over here in the buckeye state have zero respect for property lines or property rights. They trespass anywhere they please and are notorious for stealing any unattended treestands they come across.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Got a friend that is a retired PA Trooper, he worked a lot in the Amish areas. The more I hear about them the less I like them. I guess like any religious group they have more than their fare share of hypocrites.

Basic Member
    I am really sorry to hear of this. If anyone but Mr. Furious had said it I would not believe it.

About 15 years ago I was in a gun shop near an Amish com. and got to talking to the owner about deer damage to my crops. This Amish fellow said do what we do, get some 22 shells and shoot them thru the guts then they run off your property and die. I did not answer him, but I did not agree with him even thou I was dealing with about 19 thousand dollars worth of crop damages per year.

Basic Member
    I know some non Amish farmers that do that. I get that its their livelihood. But the critter is doing what the LORD made it to do. No sense in such abject cruelty.
    Wonder what old farmer Brown would think if he were guy shot...

Basic Member
    Gut shot.

Hey,everybody's gotta eat! If you're in deer country you have to plan on some loss. You could always circle your property with a 15' fence. Probably a little more than 19K though.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Hey,everybody's gotta eat! If you're in deer country you have to plan on some loss. You could always circle your property with a 15' fence. Probably a little more than 19K though.
    Would pay for itself over a few years though at 19K per year. I'd rather them just let me hunt their farm.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddly View Post
    Years ago, the Pennsylvania Game Comission had an anti slob hunter/ poaching program called "SPORT". Stood for Sportsmen Policing Our Ranks Together. You could order blaze orange Keystone patches with the logo. I got 2 and sewed them on my hunting jackets. It seems that a lot of hunters must think I'm a warden! They seem to not want to hang around when they see the patch. Is ok though. I don't take it personal...
    The sport program was in the late 70s. At the time I was engaged in a war of words by letters with a PA game commissioner from Cameron county where I hunt.
    He was very much opposed to our method of hunting, and was actively attempting to get a game law passed to get it stopped.
    He outright called me and the others who hunted long range slobs who were jepordizing the sport he loved. He told me I should take heed to the sport program and stop being what he considered a slob hunter.
    A couple years later his majesty was busted for shooting a doe after killing and tagging a buck and placing his wife's tag on it.
    He paid the fine and lost his hunting license for 5 years, and also was fired from his outdoor writer position for several newspapers.
    It was a cause for celebration around these parts for lots of us. So as for the sport program, I well remember it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    He outright called me and the others who hunted long range slobs who were jepordizing the sport he loved. He told me I should take heed to the sport program and stop being what he considered a slob hunter.
    Hmmm... mixed emotions on this one. I don't object to long range hunting per se. What I do object to is folks who take shots well outside their ability to make. But, in that respect, I know some folks who couldn't hit a target the size of a bus at 100 yards. So, arguing that taking long shots is somehow unethical doesn't wash with me... If you have the skill to make the shot, then take it. I would rather see the exercise of good judgement in all cases.

I guess I've cleaned up too many wounded animals that have wandered onto the farm and bled out. Sortta lowered my estimate of the marksmanship skills of my neighbors.

Basic Member
    Just because a rifle has, fill in the blank, yards of effective range on a particular critter, doesn't mean the shooter does. I know enough shooters who can hit a quarter off the bench at 100 yards and miss a standing broadside at 50. There's a lot more to being a long range hunter than a fancy high velocity rifle with the Palomar observatory on it.

Basic Member
    I guess the point of the whole thing is (ethics), or in some cases the lack of.
    No one group has it, and no one group dosent.