Thread: An Axis story

An Axis story

Several years ago, just after the Axis was introduced I bought one in Stainless chambered in 270 win. I love to tinker and this was a winter project rifle. Once it arrived I popped it apart and checked it out. Didn't think much of the stock and trigger. Mounted a spare Ziess on it and went to range with proven hand loads. It shot very good, but as it was a project rifle, therefore I ordered a Rifle Basix Trigger and A Boyd's Lite weight Thumb hole stock. Re-cut the crown for grins.
    After installing them, the rifle did shoot better, mainly due to better trigger.( This rifle did not come with "Accu-trigger") The Boyd's stock changed the balance and I wasn't a fan. Therefore The Factory synthetic stock was painted and reinstalled.
    After a while, I wanted the scope it was wearing and another scope was installed. When ready to sight in the different scope I grabbed some 270 reloads and a box of Federal 130 Soft Points that were donated by a friend after working up a very good load for his rifle. When sighting the Axis in, I used the Federal ammo and was startled by one hole groups.
    Several more trips to the range and this rifle and Federal ammo kept shooting one hole groups. Since then I have shot several hogs and 2 deer with this combination. Now I have a lot of confidence in it.
    I don't always hunt with it, but it usually rides in Truck with me.
    Just a story about things coming together. It's not always true for me...

Basic Member
    Welcome aboard. I bought an Axis this spring in 243 and also added the same trigger. I have been shooting Federal 100gr Softpoints and while I have not got any one shot groups I am more than satisfied with the groups which are well under an inch at 100 yards.

Basic Member
    When I bought my .270 Axis a few years back, I bought two boxes of 130 gr. loads, one Remington and one Federal. The Remingtons were nothing to brag on, the best groups being around 2" at 100 yards; but the Federals -- oh, my! They made 3-shot groups well under an inch and I still haven't found a handload to equal them -- although to be honest I am not all that motivated to find one, since sub-MOA performance is as near as my local Walmart.

One hole groups with factory ammunition? Wow.

Since those Federal 130's shot so well, I found three boxes with same lot# and bought them. Also added 2 boxes with different lot #'s.
    Soon to be 70, so should be a lifetime supply.

Good move. Several years ago Federal Fusion had a 165gr 300WSM loading that was superb in several rifles. Tried out some his fall and they were awful. Should have bought a bunch from the same lot like you did.