Thread: savage stealth evolution 6mm creedmoor

savage stealth evolution 6mm creedmoor

well did I break in for 6 creedmoor stealth evo today and after 35 rounds I was able to produce 2 5 shot groups of .313 and .336 at 100 meters using handloaded 80gr noslers , I must say that this rifle is what they said it would be. I would however like to get some lower sd/es numbers

I bought one two weeks ago. Apparently I got a Monday morning hangover rifle. I shot handloads to break it in. I wasnt happy with the groups so I bought factory ammo. It wouldnt feed without pushing the bullet into the case. It wasnt chambered correctly and the barrel muzzle and chamber were pitted. Its going back this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Serk03 View Post
    I bought one two weeks ago. Apparently I got a Monday morning hangover rifle. I shot handloads to break it in. I wasnt happy with the groups so I bought factory ammo. It wouldnt feed without pushing the bullet into the case. It wasnt chambered correctly and the barrel muzzle and chamber were pitted. Its going back this week.
    mine was also short chambered and it will be going back , I wanted to shoot a silhouette match with it first , distance for 200-500 meters , I believe the loads I have will accomplish what I want to do , I tried chambering factory ammo and it did the same thing you said happened

Quote Originally Posted by rr1220 View Post
    well did I break in for 6 creedmoor stealth evo today and after 35 rounds I was able to produce 2 5 shot groups of .313 and .336 at 100 meters using handloaded 80gr noslers , I must say that this rifle is what they said it would be. I would however like to get some lower sd/es numbers
    Have you shot factory ammo yet? I didnt discover my problem until I did that.

Tried to chamber factory ammo and it seated bullet .4" deeper into case , went right to handloads ,wasn't even going to try and shoot it

Quote Originally Posted by rr1220 View Post
    Tried to chamber factory ammo and it seated bullet .4" deeper into case , went right to handloads ,wasn't even going to try and shoot it

I was afraid you were goi g to say that. This means Savage is likely not using Hornady specs for their reamer. This caliber with a short throat is just a .243 if you can't shoot 105 to 115 bullits.

Please let me know how you make out with savage customer service and what they did to correct the problem
    Thanks

My gun is still at Savage. I have since found two more 6 Creedmoors that had short freebore, but not as bad as our Evolutions. I hope to have it bad in a couple weeks and I will let you know what they did to it. I didn't mention in my post that both the chamber and the last 3/4 inch of the bore was pitted with rust. I don't see how that produce a gun of this cost and have stuff like that slip by.

after working up loads I was able to produce a touch over .25 moa and was then attempting to do another ladder test when I was getting higher velocity with less powder , I wasn't giving savage another crack at it and took it to a gunsmith. first thing we did was bore scope the barrel , same pitting was found at crown and a corner of a lands was missing at the crown. barrel is being re-throated for 105 bergers along with being re-crowned also a fair amount of throat erosion was present after 390 rnds down the barrel , I plan on ordering a new barrel in the spring , caliber is great for accuracy not so good for barrel life , still I love this rifle

Thanks for the update.

If you were able to shoot small groups, there is no reason to re-crown it.

The Gunsmith could of just run a throating reamer to extend the freebore instead of re-chambering the barrel. But re-chambering is always better since the barrel has to come off and be dialed in on the lathe anyways.

For others who have short freebore, PTG sells a throater that can be used with out a lathe. I've never used it but wouldn't hesitate if I had to.

Smith is not rechambering he is only adding freebore specific to Berger 105s to allow pressure ring to align with neck shoulder junction , with damaged crown I was able to shoot small groups though repeatability over long shot string was not there, for the 20 dollars he's charging to re crown why not

Yeah I hear ya. When the barrel is already dialed in on the lathe it makes sense to re-crown, even if it looks ok.

Since my last post, Savage replaced my barrel. I now have a very long freebore. Unfortunately weather and work have kept me away from the range. I am doing load development now. The gun shoots well but I haven't found the magic load yet. I have high hopes though.

I would start with one of the following bullets...

105 Hybrid 105 vld, 107smk, 105 rdf, 108eldm ... and H-4831sc

Title: VERY POOR-QUALITY CONTROL!

I bought the Savage 10 Stealth Evolution in 6 mil Creedmoor, brand new and this is my story.
    First, I want to say that this is my first bolt action precision rifle and I LOVE IT. You can drive nails with this thing at 100yds, and I am now working on 200yds. I got .75 MOA @ 100 yds and one MOA at 200 yds. This baby shoots straight and true and has little to no kick. I have shot 6.5 Creedmoor and I own a .308 and I refuse to give up the 6mil.

I use factory Hornady match Ammo 6mil Creedmoor 108 grain ELD. The first time I chambered a round it would not chamber. Sent it to Savage who re-set it (or whatever they did) and returned it in three weeks. Next, after 387 rounds the firing pin froze in the bolt and despite disassembling it, it would not pop back out of the bolt. I tried chambering another round and the extractor blew out of the bolt. At first, I order all new replacement parts for the bolt when I woke up and said enough is enough. This rifle is under warranty, so I returned the parts and the rifle. They refunded me for the parts, and I shipped the whole shabanks back once again. I had the riffle a total of three months. I told them I have had it and I want a new rifle. After a few weeks they finally agreed and sent me a spanking brand-new rifle…minus the “extended scope mount”. That’s right, no way to mount the scope and, it was a different color than my original Drake stock.

My original rifle was a SAND color. Looked real cool with the black barrel, scope and bi-pod. The one the sent was BURNT BRONZE. Now I know that is the advertised color, but that bronze was not cool looking (you have your taste and I HAVE MINE, so shut up!). Customer Service tried to match my original but no luck so they said they would send the missing part. At the writing of this letter I have yet to receive it so if it comes in a different color you will hear from me again.

Signed; THEY HAD IT JUST AS LONG AS I DID!

UPDATE:3/13/19
    Received the missing extended scope rail. The shipping order said "w/screws".... NOT. the screws were missing, and they are an odd size that is hard to find locally. yet another VERY POOR-QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE on the part of Savage. Seven to ten business days for four screws.

Update: 3/30/19
    Got the four missing screws from a local Gunsmith. Mounted my Zeiss Conquest V6, 5 – 30x50. Shooting Hornady Match, 6mm Creedmoor, 108 Grain, ELD Match factory ammo I was able to hit six consecutive bullseyes and one touching bullseye at 200 yards. Each was a ¾” dot.