Thread: 17 HMR Bull Barrel

Savage17

17 HMR Bull Barrel

I purchased a Savage 17 HMR model 93R17 with accutrigger and a scope last summer and i love it. It shoots good groups, about 1 to 2 inches at 100 yards with no benchrest. It gets the job done on squirrels but i want the little extra assurance and to maybe be able to get .5 inch groups at 100 with a rest. Is there anyway i could buy a bull barrel to put on my rifle because i know savage has models that come stock with them. I've read in places that savage does not sell their barrels separately. Is there anyplace i can get a bull barrel for a 17 HMR?

sinman

Re: 17 HMR Bull Barrel

trade your rifle off for a bull barrel one, your barrel is pinned in and would take a gunsmith to take it off.

Savage17

i have access to a good gunsmith so it wouldnt be much of a problem if i had the barrel. is there anywhere to get an aftermarket bull barrel for the 93 series?

sinman

So you want to spend say $200 on a barrel blank and $250 for a gunsmith to install it, for a $300 gun?

Savage17

u have a good point. i was merely considering the new barrel but i was not aware of the cost yet. thanks for the input. i guess il just have to get a bench rest from my buddy and sit down and dial it in some more.

sinman

defiantly spend time on your gun, make sure you try different ammo, maybe a better scope, check the trigger, ect.

6brm

I have a Savage Model 93BTVS 17 HMR. Out-the-box, .375" @100 yd groups are fairly regular. This with a 6.5X20 power scope. A good benchrest, no wind, the barrel must be cleaned with a fouling shot or two first. Also, I bought all makes Hornady, Federal, Winchester, CCI.....) of ammo in 17 and 20 grain. They all shoot a bit different.