Thread: Savage 110 270 Win. w/16" barrel Questions

Basic Member

Savage 110 270 Win. w/16" barrel Questions

Well after I bought my Savage Axis 308 HB I kind of became addicted to the Savages.
    So about a week ago I was at a local pawn shop and they had an older 110 chambered in 270 Win. that someone cut the barrel down to 16 inches. I got it for pretty cheap and was planning on rebarreling it to 308 but I'm not sure about what I wanna do yet.
    Now to my questions: I was wondering if I could expect to get any kind of decent accuracy out of such a short barrel?
    I also want to know if it's possible to load some light recoil loads for 270 Win. and still get good performance on deer out to 100 yards or less?
    And most importantly does anyone know where I can buy a rear baffle assembly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fnrockstar22 View Post
    :
    1) I was wondering if I could expect to get any kind of decent accuracy out of such a short barrel?
    2) I also want to know if it's possible to load some light recoil loads for 270 Win. and still get good performance on deer out to 100 yards or less?
    3) And most importantly does anyone know where I can buy a rear baffle assembly?
    1) Accuracy has very little to do with barrel length, if anything. There is no reason to expect not, but you own it; shoot it and find out.
    2) Light recoil from a 270 is relative, but relatively speaking; Yes. Killing a deer at 100 yards isn't going to be difficult for that rifle.
    3) Try the usual suspects: Numrich, Midway, etc

Basic Member
    I've checked numrich, midway, Brownell, and a few other places for the rear baffle. Some sites list them but they are all out of stock.
    The reason I want to have some light recoil rounds is so my 10 year old son can use it for deer hunting. I just didn't know if I could reduce recoil without reducing performance down range.
    I've always thought that barrel length had something to do with accuracy to some degree.

Basic Member
    I suspect, that at close range, you might cook the critter with the muzzle flash. The muzzle blast should be epic!

Basic Member
    Yeah I figure the blast will be pretty crazy not to mention the noise. If it'll shoot worth a crap with this barrel I was thinking about putting some type of muzzle device on it.

Team Savage
    find a bullet thats designed for the 6.8 spc load it with faster burning powders and see how it shoots. (85tsx and 8208xbr sounds like good place to start)

Basic Member
    your prolly gonna lose at least 250 fps from what you will get with a 22" or 24" barrel, i know this first hand from owning a 16" Ruger compact rifle in 308win. accuracy wise the short bbl means nothing, it can shoot as accurately as a longer barrel. if you say you only are looking to shoot short range, go with any 130gr bullet that shoots good in your gun, zero it at 200 yards and you should be just fine. BTW as another poster has mentioned, the muzzle blast will knock your socks off for sure. believe me i know how it is theres really nothing you can do about that.

Team Savage
    Make sure that barrel is 16.001 inches long, and not 15.9999. Short is beautiful! If the crown is not completely screwed up, it will shoot just fine. The shorter the barrel the straighter the hole! Try faster powers like Varget or 3031 and for deer I would use Nosler Ballistic Tips, they are designed to expand at lower velocity. Did you do a google search for the rear baffle?

Bill

Basic Member
    I was thinking about loading some 110 or 115 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets that are made for the 6.8.
    The barrel is actually around 16.125 inches but that's another reason I was thinking about putting a muzzle device on it.
    I've Google searched the rear baffle and looked on ebay and gunbroker with no luck. I can buy a complete bolt but then I have to have headspace checked and possibly reset. Which if I get a new barrel wouldn't be a big deal except that's $120 I really don't need to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by fnrockstar22 View Post
    I was thinking about loading some 110 or 115 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets that are made for the 6.8.
    The barrel is actually around 16.125 inches but that's another reason I was thinking about putting a muzzle device on it.
    I've Google searched the rear baffle and looked on ebay and gunbroker with no luck. I can buy a complete bolt but then I have to have headspace checked and possibly reset. Which if I get a new barrel wouldn't be a big deal except that's $120 I really don't need to spend.

call savage parts

(413) 568-7001
    or (800) 370-0708

another source
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man.../savstevspgfld

Team Savage
    Brownells sell rear baffels

Basic Member
    I checked Brownell and they show its out of stock. I'll check again and make sure though.

Basic Member
    Yeah they are out. I can't remember where but I found left hand baffles but no right hand ones.

That .270 isn't hurt one bit as far as a deer killing machine at reasonable ranges.
    I cut a .308 down to 16" and cut the length of pull down to 12" as kind of a knockaround the farm rifle for what needs killin. Man is it ever handy and the grandkids nieces and nephews love it. They'll shoot 50 rounds of 125 or 130gr .308 in a range session and beg for more ammo. you'll never miss the barrel length and I promise the deer wont complain. Accuracy will be fine provided there are no other issues than the barrel being shortened.
    H4895 is your friend and can be safely loaded down to 60% of a max charge. Select the charge anywhere in between that fit's your needs.
    Here ya go here's a good place to start.
    http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf
    I have gotten to where I love the little rifle and reduced loads for my own use. much less muzzle blast as well.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    Yes, call Savage. Just be ready with a part number and serial number. You will probably be told that your rifle is so old there are no parts available, just be persistent. After they talk to a supervisor the part will miraculously be available.

I went through the same thing looking for extractor parts.

Bill

Basic Member
    As others have already mentioned, a short 270 Win barrel, while unusual, is still capable. 270 Win can be downloaded, but personally, I would re-barrel with a 243 Win. barrel. They are readily available as cheap take-off barrels and are well suited for use as low-recoil youth rifles, all using factory ammunition.

Factory 270 Win ammunition out of such a short barrel is probably not going to perform well. The factory ammunition is being produced for hunting, with propellant charges geared to use a longer barrel. The big muzzle flash is going to come from all that excess propellant that the short barrel couldn't make use of. Really, popping white-tails at short range doesn't need a lot of bullet energy. If you are OK with doing your own reloads, then give the shortened 270 Win barrel a try. Just be careful. 270 Win is a big cartridge case and small powder charges can behave in strange ways when there is a lot of empty space inside the cartridge.

Basic Member
    I've been doing some reading and I'm leaning toward just rebarreling to 308 Win. I already have all the reloading supplies for it and I've read some good things about 125 gr. Nosler BT bullets over IMR4895.
    I have an Axis 308 HB but I think it may be a little too heavy for my son to carry in the woods so I may just get a sporter profile barrel for him.
    Does anyone have any experience with Hornady's 125gr SST bullet out of a 308?

Basic Member
    I used to own a 35 Whelen with a 17.5” barrel. I fired it three times and had it rebarreled. It was the loudest most painful and obnoxious rifle I have ever fired. It sounded more like a porter 1.5” snub nose shooting max SAAMI loads.
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

Basic Member
    I've been wondering about those 270 win. pistols. What kind of loads do they use for hunting? The ones I've seen for sale only have a 15 inch barrel so if people are getting good performance out of those I don't know why a 16 inch barrel wouldn't be able to deliver good performance.

Most just use rifle loads for hunting when using rifle caliber handguns.
    I have loaded some 125gr SSTs in .308 as well as 125gr Nosler ballistic tips (think they may have been discontinued because I haven't seen any available in a while) and 130gr Barnes TTSX. All provide good accuracy in reduced .308 youth loads using H4895. The only game I have seen taken with an SST was a doe (first deer) one of my nephews shot last year with a factory loaded Hornady custom light 87gr .243. He was using a left handed Ruger American Compact All Weather with an 18" barrel that he had just received for Christmas. It was a bang flop at a paced off 115 yards. I was amazed at the trauma caused by that little bullet in a reduced recoil load. At 125gr I would imagine the .308SST would be plenty of bullet for medium game.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.