Thread: Axis II XP vs 111 Trophy Hunter XP in 30-06

Axis II XP vs 111 Trophy Hunter XP in 30-06

First post... Never owned a Savage before.

Looking to pickup a Savage 30-06 for the Holidays. I've been looking at either the Axis II or the 111 Trophy Hunter. My question is: should I get the Axis II, save $100, and put that into the cost of a different scope, or the Trophy Hunter and use the Nikon that is on it? I would probably get the Nikon ProStaff BDC scope or maybe a cheap Leopold. I have the Nikon ProStaff on my Tikka T3 in .223 and consider it a decent scope.

What are the actual differences in the gun itself? Both have the AccuTrigger. Neither have the Accustock. I don't plan on upgrading the stock on either but will upgrade the rings. Is the gun itself that much better?

Edit: There are a few threads on this. Seems like the 111 is the way to go. I'll just have to go with the Base Nikon for now. Is the scope on the 11 from the Bushmaster series?

Basic Member
    Sorry, I have no knowledge of the scope but I couldn’t let your first post go without a response.

The 111 is the better of the two for after market parts especially. The Nikon that comes on the XP package is a pretty decent hunting scope, but the rings leave a lot to be desired. the stock on the 111 is decent enough for a hunting rifle, but if you want more precision, then you'll want to start upgrading parts... Stock, barrel, rings, scope.... this is were the benefit of going with the 111 is leaps and bounds better..

I got the 111 Trophy Hunter. Swapped a scope off my Tikka T3 .223. It is also a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 but much better quality. Also added new Weaver steel rings. I went to the range to zero the scope. Overall, it went well. Two main problems tho. First, it is very hard to get the magazine to click into the stock. I have to squeeze it real hard to get it to click into place. Once set, it stays. Secondly, on occasion, the bolt will not pickup a round from the magazine. I'll pull back the bolt to eject the last shell, then push it forward and down, ready to fire the next shot. However, it didn't pickup a round. Pulling back and pushing forward again - most times it works, but occasionally it misses a second time.

This is with retail ammo - Remington green box-165 grain. Not sure the exact round from memory. I guess I can take the action/barrel out of the stock, look around a bit to see if I can figure out if anything is obvious. I need to adjust the trigger pull anyway...

Any thoughts?

Try opening the feed lips on the mag a little bit as that may help your feeding issue. I sometimes short cycled my 111 action at first as it has just a bit more throw than my axis does.... So maybe you're doing the same thing? Just a thought...

Thanks, I'll check the magazine. Although I don't think I'm short-cycling the bolt. One time, in particular, it wouldn't pickup the next round. I opened and closed it a few times. I had to push up on the magazine to get it to catch. What would make the magazine hard to insert into the stock? I know I need to just look at it but I'm at work. I will check it to see if I can figure out why it is so hard to insert. I think something is holding the magazine down just a touch too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasdoc View Post
    Thanks, I'll check the magazine. Although I don't think I'm short-cycling the bolt. One time, in particular, it wouldn't pickup the next round. I opened and closed it a few times. I had to push up on the magazine to get it to catch. What would make the magazine hard to insert into the stock? I know I need to just look at it but I'm at work. I will check it to see if I can figure out why it is so hard to insert. I think something is holding the magazine down just a touch too far.
    During the forming of the stock, there may have been debris, or perhaps the mag well didn't get cut perfectly... My magazines have always been a little finicky when putting them into the synthetic stocks... Sometimes they'll even fall out because I didn't get it "clicked" in just right. If your mag is "clicking in" then it's most likely the feed lips have been crunched closed a little bit.

It is clicking in, but I have to push *really* hard to get it to click.

Trophy has my vote.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

As previously stated, it could be that the stock has a little debri or it didnt get cut perfectly. If you’re pushing the mag in when fully loaded and bolt closed that could be because the mag is fully loaded with no room to compress. Try inserting the mag with bolt open. See if that helps. Also spreading the magazine feed lips a little will probably help.

Took it apart today. The front metal rails of the magazine actually are hitting the stock before the clip on the magazine clicks into the stock. Looks like I can dremel or sand about 0.5 mm off the front of the magazine rails and it will be perfect. I also bedded the action with JB Weld, waiting for it to dry. We will see how it turns out.

Basic Member
    I got a trophy hunter XP in 223. Decent little gun. 9 twist sporter weight barrel. With the right load shoots well under an inch. no need for a heavy barrel varminter. Meanwhile my son in law got an Axis 7mm08 package gun. Both had Nikon BDC Scopes. The Nikon scope is the only thing that he liked. The gun misfired and cost him 2 deer. Never while practicing or sighting in but twice at the moment of truth was too much. It is down the road now. I am going to avoid and AXis products

Basic Member
    I have an Axis and a trophy hunter. Never had a problem with either. I would like to know what caused your son in laws misfires strut64. Is there another thread with details?

Basic Member
    Make sure you are putting the rear of the magazine in first then pushing the front in, while keeping pressure on the rear, until the tab clicks.
    If you try to insert front first or both front and rear together then it won’t seat fully.

Basic Member
    Evlshnngns, My son in law had a couple rifle loonies examine axis708 carefully. No apperent cause was ever found. He doesn't reload. It was all factory stuff. One of the loonies suggested it go down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    I got a trophy hunter XP in 223. Decent little gun. 9 twist sporter weight barrel. With the right load shoots well under an inch. no need for a heavy barrel varminter. Meanwhile my son in law got an Axis 7mm08 package gun. Both had Nikon BDC Scopes. The Nikon scope is the only thing that he liked. The gun misfired and cost him 2 deer. Never while practicing or sighting in but twice at the moment of truth was too much. It is down the road now. I am going to avoid and AXis products
    Does the Axis has a 3 position safety? When I was young I have went through similar situation with a Marlin 336. It was a newer one with the cross bar safety I shot twice ad levered through. To my amazement it just hopped into the brush - not even alarmed. Then I looked down at a black crossblock and 2 full cartridges on the ground.

Basic Member
    Axis is 2 position. Does not interfere with the bolt.