Thread: 303 to 38-55

Basic Member

303 to 38-55

I have an old gray rat model C and the rifling isn’t much. Will the chamber clean up if I have the barrel recorded to 38-55?

Basic Member
    I have an extra .303 barrel and I had the same idea! BUT, the .303 case is 20 thousand's larger and the .38-55 so the chamber will not clean up. I thought of getting a reline. It also will not feed because it dose not fit the magazine rotor. IF, and that's a big IF, you could find the proper rotor it may be doable, but since they were discontinued in 1914 it will be hard to find. My dream was to have a Savage in .38-55, and I finally found a takedown model last summer, and it cost less than a re-line job!!

Basic Member
    Thanks much it looks good on the wall.

Basic Member
    Have you tried shooting it? Mine has an awful pitted bore, but it groups just fine.

Basic Member
    http://www.35caliber.com/ This is the web address for a gunsmith that rebores and rechambers rifles like yours. I checked the case dia. and a 38-55 rechambers should clean out the 303 Savage chamber. You should ask him. The rub might be if the 38-55 case will fit and load out of you gun. He should also know and might be able fix if they don't. LOL Load low and work up.