Thread: .458 SOCOM Build

Basic Member

.458 SOCOM Build

A friend gave me a .458 blank while on a trip that he had no use for. 1.15" straight cylinder, 30", 18 twist Douglas XX. I've been thinking about it for awhile, figured now's as good of time as any. So, spent part of yesterday turning it to mag sporter taper.

Looks about right. Waiting on reamer from 4D Rentals. Looking forward to finishing it up. I'm thinking a Harrell's brake, wondering what the effectiveness is on the SOCOM? I've been mostly underwhelmed with brakes on non-magnums. Any suggestions?

Basic Member

I'm impressed! It was really designed to be fired suppressed rather than braked. I'm like you. Not big with brakes on even .30 magnum. The right instructor can teach recoil management in less than 20 minutes eliminating the need for brakes and the bad habits they create. :)

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Would love to have a suppressor big enough for this. That new Silencerco Hybrid I think it is looks like just the checker!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Would love to have a suppressor big enough for this. That new Silencerco Hybrid I think it is looks like just the checker!
    The spooks at CGS Group in Artesia NM probably have an idea or Two.

Basic Member

Just need some ammo. Also wondering if it's going to feed. Older stagger feed blind mag that was set up for .308.

Basic Member

Just need some ammo. Also wondering if it's going to feed. Older stagger feed blind mag that was set up for .308.
    +1 Keep posting progress!

Cool project...........................and your bolt handle is on the correct side of the rifle.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the encouragement.

No new pics, got a new Sightron STAC 2-10 on it today. Nice looking glass, first one for me. No local ammo, so waiting on dies and brass from Brownells. If it shoots I'll ship the barrel off for Cerakote.

Basic Member
    Looks good. I like 45 cal. I did a 458 win mag build. 20" tube, boyds stock. No brake. I load down with a 300 gr hornady, and 74 grain benchmark powder. Book says 2355 fps. Very mild on recoil and accurate. I even have a 400 grain speer load of 70 grain benchmark. Also mild

458 socom i thought about and the 450 marlin/458 american. But wanted to keep full power potential for fun

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orr89rocz View Post
    Looks good. I like 45 cal. I did a 458 win mag build. 20" tube, boyds stock. No brake. I load down with a 300 gr hornady, and 74 grain benchmark powder. Book says 2355 fps. Very mild on recoil and accurate. I even have a 400 grain speer load of 70 grain benchmark. Also mild

458 socom i thought about and the 450 marlin/458 american. But wanted to keep full power potential for fun
    We have a pre-64 Md 70 .458 Win Mag in the safe. My dad carried it guiding for many years. It's also 20" barrel, McMillan stock. Very light. Never tried light loads for it but no doubt it would be more pleasant to shoot.

I got a brake from Harrells for this one, installed it today:

I'm going to try it, if I don't like it, the cap will get screwed back on where it will stay.

Basic Member
    My rifle was about 7.75 lbs. the light loads are alittle bit beyond max socom loads and they arent bad. I dont think you'll need the brake but it looks cool

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orr89rocz View Post
    My rifle was about 7.75 lbs. the light loads are alittle bit beyond max socom loads and they arent bad. I dont think you'll need the brake but it looks cool

Basic Member
    Finally got my brass and made a couple of dummies. She ain't gonna feed as is. I don't really want to put a DBM on it even though I have a PTG sitting here. I just don't like it. Gonna try single feed and see how she groups then make a decision.

Basic Member

.458 SOCOM Build

Fired for function, cases look fine and the barrel stayed screwed on. The brake seems to reduce recoil by maybe 20% felt. Didn't notice much difference in muzzle blast, if anything it was more rude without it. After lots of thinking and reading, I ordered a 308 centerfeed mag. I plan on removing the base and milling my receiver to accept it as a blind Centerfeed. Not ideal but I can live with it if it feeds right. I can't yet abide that PTG dbm bottom metal for a sporter. Still got too much old school in me I guess.

Thanks for riding along. Will update when I can get it on paper.

Basic Member
    Yup, the hybrid is designated as a 46 caliber& rated for the 458SOCOM& the 45-70

Basic Member
    Received Savage factory center feed DBM today. Popped the base off and the fit inside my blind stagger 4.275 stock was perfect. Ground the hook off the rear of the mag to make it fit the receiver, I'd seen people mill the receiver but I figured I'd cut up the mag instead. Fits perfectly.

I still couldn't get it to feed, fooled with the lips for a couple of hours. I ended up pitching the factory plastic follower and milling an aluminum one. No more nose dives, now I have a 2 shot mag

Basic Member
    Fired for function. Rounds slid forward under recoil and failed to feed. So, cut a UHMW spacer for the rear of the mag and shortened the follower. Spitzers feed without issue, 350gr FP Hornadays OK, 400gr Speer FP a no go.

Basic Member
    Are going to single shot or try something new?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by culpeper View Post
    Are going to single shot or try something new?

I think my new spacer setup
    is gonna work. She should hold 2.

Basic Member
    Coolest Savage I've seen in a long time!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by culpeper View Post
    Coolest Savage I've seen in a long time!

Well I don't know about that but it's sure been fun, although equally as frustrating.

Thanks!