Thread: How to ship shotguns/ammo

Basic Member

How to ship shotguns/ammo

Just back from Kansas after too many years neglect from visiting family. SHAME ON ME

Great to catch up! Now we are planning a hunting trip after too many years away.

Want to travel by airline and ship shotguns and ammo, what are the rules? Can the shotguns go FedEx without FFL? How should ammo be shipped?

When we get to Kansas/Nebraska, there will not be anywhere to buy ammo nearby.

For all...have a great ThanksGiving!

IIRC you can ship the firearm addressed to yourself without need of going through an FFL. Ammunition has to be shipped separately and in a package this is properly marked as small arms munitions with this stamp or decal:

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks, this will help get us there and back.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    I don't fly often, but when I do, only carry on a jacket. USPS is my favorite shipper, cheaper than the other two. It is easier to ship to destination, and ship back. Also found that most mid-sized towns have independent shipping offices. The one here packs better than I can and it's inexpensive.

Also, I use the USPO street address, add my pobox # and the two other shippers drop stuff off there for pick-up. The postmaster signs for me. I didn't know the rules on ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    IIRC you can ship the firearm addressed to yourself without need of going through an FFL. Ammunition has to be shipped separately and in a package this is properly marked as small arms munitions with this stamp or decal:

I print out the regulation on shipping ammo and primed cases and take it with me every time I go to UPS. Too many times the clerk does not know and says it is illegal to ship it. (especially with all the temporary help now)I have had to re-educate more than one of them,,,