Thread: GSR Stock Replacement Options

Basic Member

GSR Stock Replacement Options

Hey y'all,

New to Savages, recently purchased a Model 10 GRS in 6.5 CM. Knew it was a bit of a gamble, not being able to try it out first. Not working for me. So, now I'm looking at options, selling as is or just letting go of the GRS stock and finding a drop in replacement stock for the action, 4.400 screws, with AI mag receiver. Wondering if any of the Bell&Carlson stocks would be plug and play, or there is some inletting and fitting required?

Same question goes for the Choate as well?

Thanks

Basic Member
    Out of curiosity, what is the problem with the GRS stock? And I am no pro on stock/action fitting so I will let others speak on that one. The action should fit in tons of stock options, the DBM I am not so sure...

Basic Member
    Yep, sure.

For me, the stock wants to roll over when I try to rest the weight of my head on the cheek piece. And, the cheekpiece is a little too wide for my face type, have narrow eyes, resulting in having to uncomfortably tilt my head over the stock to get behind the scope. Those are the main gripes, however, the grip size and distance to the trigger is awkward also and because of that, the trigger guard will occasionally recoil into my middle finger. Other than that, its great! ��

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar, "DBM"?

Thanks.

Basic Member
    There are a number of stock options available. It depends on what you are looking for...but we need some more info....tactical, Monte Carlo, thumbhole, modular chassis, etc. Then do you want a detachable box magazine or internal magazine?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    There are a number of stock options available. It depends on what you are looking for...but we need some more info....tactical, Monte Carlo, thumbhole, modular chassis, etc. Then do you want a detachable box magazine or internal magazine?

LSD,

Was looking at this, and just now saw "factory detachable magazines" in the description. The GRS however, uses AI mags, not the latest Savage 10 factory mag. I'd like to continue using the AI style mags.

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index....tegory_ID=1127

thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon1 View Post
    LSD,

Was looking at this, and just now saw "factory detachable magazines" in the description. The GRS however, uses AI mags, not the latest Savage 10 factory mag.

http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index....tegory_ID=1127

thanks
    That is one of the points I was trying to make. You may have to make an investment in savage magazines. They may be someone out there that may want to do some horse trading...

Basic Member
    That is one of the points I was trying to make. You may have to make an investment in savage magazines. They may be someone out there that may want to do some horse trading...

Yeah, no, I hear you. Thats why I asked about the Choate as well. They apparently also sell the AI conversion magwell and will inlet and fit for free. About the same price either way, Choate w/conversion vs BC.

Will call BC tomorrow morning and see what they have to say.

And it seems the newer model 10 mags have experienced some problems staying locked in and feeding issues? Which I guess go hand in hand. Or has that been corrected?

Basic Member
    Not sure. I recently got a model 10 flip-sr with the accustock and the 10 round mags similar to the aics. Haven’t had the chance to play with them yet. If you have any interest in the modular chassis, the MDT-LSS with bolt up and use the AICS style mags. You supply your own had grip and buttstock from an AR style platform. I also recently obtained on of those to refit an older rifle but may put it on the new FCP-SR.

Basic Member
    Not sure. I recently got a model 10 flip-sr with the accustock and the 10 round mags similar to the aics. Haven’t had the chance to play with them yet. If you have any interest in the modular chassis, the MDT-LSS with bolt up and use the AICS style mags. You supply your own had grip and buttstock from an AR style platform. I also recently obtained on of those to refit an older rifle but may put it on the new FCP-SR.
    LSD

Roger that. I'll check out the MDT-LSS also.

Thanks

Looks to me like the GRS is using Accu-Mag or similar bottom metal that fits the factory DBM inlet.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I shot you a PM, but do you want to sell it? I have wanted to play with one of these for a while now. I was hoping for some crazy black friday or cyber monday deal, but a used one will work just as well.

Micky
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

Basic Member
    I have one on my Howa 1500 in .308 and like it quite a bit. It's very different for sure. I added the 1" recoil pad, which is actually not that expensive. With the Howa action the front action lug does not quite bottom out on the pillar and I had to bed it...not sure how well they mount up to a Savage. But the stock seems plenty stiff and is very ergo for me at least.

Basic Member
    I looked on GRS web site for cost of one of those stocks. Have to go through Savage to get one for 10/110 models. Sent you a pm. Cadex has some nice chassis too. Just sold one that was on my 10T.

Between the Colorado and Ohio Rivers, north of Mexico and South of Canada
    Euro optic has GRS stocks for Savage in stock.

Very Noice stocks....Pricey too
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....