Thread: .25-45 sharps

c451812

.25-45 sharps

What does the 45 stand for ? Thank you Joe

I could be mistaken, but I believe it was for the amount of black powder used. 45 grains of black powder.

The 25-45 Sharps I know about is based on the .223 Rem.

The "45" is about length of the case in mm.

Here is a link to their web site: http://store.srcarms.com/default.asp

Basic Member
    The 45 does seem to be 45 mm for the case length as JASmith mentioned. I looked up a couple of articles via a google search and looks to be an interesting cartridge. Maybe someday I may look at it a bit closer.

c451812
    Thank you fellas, I thought the same thing in regards to the length, just need reassurance that they mixed imperial and metric together

Now, way back when, when smokeless powder was in its infancy, blackpowder nomenclature was still used, .45-70 was .45 caliber with 70 grs of blackpowder.

When the .30-40 Krag came around, people started to wildcat the case up and down in different calibers. One such wildcat was the .25 Krag. If I'm not mistaken, I think the .25 Krag was the basis of the .25-45 you're talking about.

Usually, the .25 is the caliber, and the 45 is the amount of powder it holds, 45 grs.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyesatx823 View Post
    Now, way back when, when smokeless powder was in its infancy, blackpowder nomenclature was still used, .45-70 was .45 caliber with 70 grs of blackpowder.

When the .30-40 Krag came around, people started to wildcat the case up and down in different calibers. One such wildcat was the .25 Krag. If I'm not mistaken, I think the .25 Krag was the basis of the .25-45 you're talking about.

Usually, the .25 is the caliber, and the 45 is the amount of powder it holds, 45 grs.

No, as noted above the .25-45 Sharps is basically a necked up .223 to take a .25-caliber bullet. It was designed specifically for use in the MSR/AR-15 platform about 3-4 years ago.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...old-cartridge/
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    No, as noted above the .25-45 Sharps is basically a necked up .223 to take a .25-caliber bullet. It was designed specifically for use in the MSR/AR-15 platform about 3-4 years ago.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...old-cartridge/
    Ok, they need to change the - to x!
    That's going to confuse a lot of people!
    It should be .25x45mm

My bad here. I saw the name Sharps and immediately thought old I should have researched this before I answered.
    Look before you leap!

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.