Thread: Revelation 250...aka Savage 110E

Casterbuster

Revelation 250...aka Savage 110E

Hello all I'm trying to find info on an old Revelation 250 made by Savage... it has been handed down to me from my Grandfather who bought it new in the 50's he passed on about 3 years ago now and I recently pulled it out of the safe. I would like to build a rifle using this action in tribute to him. It's a LA chambered in 30.06, I would like to restock, rebarrel and retrigger only thing I want to reuse is the action. I need info on where to start

Basic Member
    If he indeed bought the rifle in the 1950s, it would be the first model and it is not cost effective to rebarrel and upgrade. In the early 1960s Savage redesigned the action and went with what we now consider the standard. Does your rifle have a boss (enlarged section) that the rear sight fits into? If so you have a first model and the bolt is different as is the barrel fit. The early barrels have cuts made into the rear of the barrel that the bolt nose recesses into. If you have the date wrong and it is a new style, you are good to go. Otherwise you would be better off leaving it alone and buying a new rifle.

Casterbuster
    The barrel does indeed have an elarged area where the rear site dovetails to the barrel, if I rebarreled the action would a bolt face change fix the fitment issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbuster View Post
    The barrel does indeed have an elarged area where the rear site dovetails to the barrel, if I rebarreled the action would a bolt face change fix the fitment issue?
    No, you would need to change out pretty much everything on the rifle aside from the stripped action itself to convert to the newer style barrel and bolt heads. When Savage made the design change they deliberately changed the orientation of the bolt head retaining pin. With the bolt in the closed position the pin will be perpendicular to the lugs on the newer style while it will be parallel to the lugs on the older style like you have. The firing pin assembly is also different.

The trigger group on those older guns is also different in that the trigger isn't as long. If you drop that barreled action into a newer style stock the trigger will only poke through the bottom about half an inch or so.

This is why we don't recommend using these older guns for build projects. First, the early 110's are starting to gain some interest among collectors in original condition. Second, it's just not cost effective to build off of one. For what you would spend to upgrade the component parts to work with the newer stuff you could just go buy a new rifle - especially with Cabela's giving the 12FV's away like they are at present.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    They can be rebarreled, in fact I have one that had been rebarreled to .25-06 when I bought it. The issue is that it must be done by a gunsmith. As MrFurious stated, it just isn't cost effective when you have to replace everything but the receiver. Leave it as is and later get a modern setup to tinker with.