Thread: Swapping 110 wood stock for accustock

Swapping 110 wood stock for accustock

First I’d like to apologize if this has been talked about a lot on here. I’ve searched and didn’t find much, but that doesn’t mean i did a good enough job.

I have a savage 110 with the bottom bolt release. I’ve been looking for an accustock with a bottom bolt release to match (long action)

a buddy of mine says it might not be that simple because of recoil lug and barrel nut issues. I searched the net a bit and couldn’t make heads or tails of any potential issues. Am i missing something here?
    Thanks all!!

My wood stock doesn’t have a hole for the accustock wedge. Seems like it could be an issue? But i don’t know.

Basic Member
    Recoil lugs are different and while you can swap them it will require some tools (approximately $130.00). It may be a better idea to install pillars and bed your existing stock.

Are there none wedge Accustocks that would work?

Basic Member
    I don't think so.

Well bummer. My gun shoots really well (when i do my part), but I’d like to go to a synthetic stock because ive beat the hell out of this wood stock hunting and sitting in rain. I can always buy a new one with the accustock, but there’s no assurance it’ll shoot like this one

Team Savage
    The only thing difference is the recoil lug. You would need to find a Accustock recoil lug and LA Accustock. Buy, borrow or rent a vice, barrel nut wrench and go/no-go gages, or take it to a gunsmith and have them swap out the recoil lug. Since it shoots so well with the wood stock, I would also consider refinishing the wood stock with several coats of Duracoat gunstock paint. It will look like a synthetic stock, and be just as weatherproof and durable as a synthetic stock. And it give you the stiffness and accuracy potential of the Accustock without the added cost and hassle of having to remove the barrel and change out the recoil lug.

Is duracoat the same as hydrodipping? I’ve seen some cool patterned stocks around here and those guys say they are “hydrodipping” them

I should just suck it up and get a manners or McMillan. But I’m having a hard time dropping that kind of coin

Basic Member
    If I may be so bold as to suggest, consider the wood stock as a consumable. Install pillars, bed the action and beat it up until its garbage. By then you may find a more palatable option, one that doesn't violate your sense of value.

That’s certainly not a bad idea. I don’t care how it looks, just how it functions. I elk hunt with this rig a lot and all the finish is worn and I worry about swelling when I’m in the rain, which is regularly. It might just be mental, but that mental devil is pushing me towards wanting synthetic.
    Additionally.... I’ve never pillared or bedded a rifle before. So there’s that learning curve doubt as opposed to dropping an action in a good to go hunting rig and torquing to spec

Basic Member
    Here is a good read on bedding: http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html
    You can seal the stock with Tur-Oil. It will take a few coats but it drys fast.

Basic Member
    I went through the steps/advise as outlined in the above link. Great step by step instructions and very pleased with the results.